cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pulsar
Level 4

Pre Sales - VB.net/SQL Server 2008 Express

Hi,
We have a vb.net application that uses SQL Server 2008 Express. We would like to create an installation package that will install on both XP & Vista platforms, and for people who do not already have SQL Server 2008 Express.

Is this possible using InstallShield, and if so, is it easy?

Also, how large will the final installation file be, as I suspect we would need to inlcude the .net frameworks as well of course SQL Server 2008 Express?

I look forward to your responses.

Many thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(25) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

Did you apply the setup.exe fix posted in this thread? If it still does not work, try removing the AltPrqURL attribute from the properties node as follows:

0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Yes, I applied the fixes but to no avail.

My .prq is now as follows, which sadly is failing:

0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Can you check to see if the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\SQLDB\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion registry key is created on your target machine?
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

no its not there ?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express does not seem to get installed. You may need to specify the /ACTION=Install command line switch. If it still does not work, I would recommend that you will test it from the command line prompt (cmd.exe) and see if you specify the correct command line options to install the database engine silently.
0 Kudos