cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pulsar
Level 4

Pre Sales - VB.net/SQL Server 2008 Express

Hi,
We have a vb.net application that uses SQL Server 2008 Express. We would like to create an installation package that will install on both XP & Vista platforms, and for people who do not already have SQL Server 2008 Express.

Is this possible using InstallShield, and if so, is it easy?

Also, how large will the final installation file be, as I suspect we would need to inlcude the .net frameworks as well of course SQL Server 2008 Express?

I look forward to your responses.

Many thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(25) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You simply need to add the Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express setup prerequisite to your project by selecting the checkbox in the Redistributables view. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express requires the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 and Windows Installer 4.5. You may also want to include those prerequisites in your project.

InstallShield provides the Download From The Web option for the setup prerequisites. If you choose this option, only several K bytes of the text files will be included in your setup, and the actual redistributables will be downloaded at run-time. Please refer to the Setup Prerequisites help topic for more information.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Brilliant, I will try that, thanks!
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Ok, I have selected SQL Server 2008 Express but I can not find anywhere where you create the SQL instance (database name & password).
Can anyone quickly advise where I edit this?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Since InstallShield Express edition does not provide the Setup Prerequisite Editor, you need to modify the .prq file using a text editor. You will need to add the "cmdline" attribute to the "execute" node in order to specify the command line options of SQLEXPR32.EXE.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

I must be going mad but where do I find the .prq file?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The .prq files are located under the C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009 Express\SetupPrerequisites folder.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Great, found it, so what line do I enter to create an instance called 'SQLDB'

Thanks,
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You need to update the "execute" node as follows:

cmdline="/INSTANCENAME=SQLDB" requiresmsiengine="1">

Please refer to the How to: Install SQL Server 2008 from the Command Prompt help topic for more information about the command line options of Microsoft SQL Server 2008 setup.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Thanks for that, our installation was looking successful until we got the error "Installation requires .net 2.0 SP2"
In our redistributables we are using .net 3.5, I thought .net 2.0 was all included in with 3.5, is it not?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

We are looking into it. I will post the information as soon as we figure it out.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Do you know how long this will take, its just my trial version is coming to an end?

Thanks,
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I have attahed the prerequisite for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 to this post. Please apply the hotfix by copying the .prq file to the C:\Program Files\InstallShield\2009 Express\SetupPrerequisites folder, and let me know if it solves your issue.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

I'm afraid that did not work.

After copying that file over as instructed, I was able to select .net 2.0 SP2.
However, when running the installation file, it did not install, there was no error, it just did not appear on the list of pre-installs at the beginning of the installation and simply atempted to install .net 3.5 again. Chjecking the Control Panel/Programmes & Features, there was no .net 2.0 uinstalled.

Also, I attempted to manually install .net 2.0 SP2 but I then got the error saying that I needed .Net 2.0 SP1.

This .net 3.5 installation is becomming a real issue here, is there no .net package that will install all the required componants for .net 3.5?

Just to summerise, we need to distribute SQL Server 2008 Express with the necessary .net componants for it to work on non-vista and vista pc's.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please try Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and see if it solves your issue. The redistributable should install Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 as documented here.
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

Looks like that is working, and its helped to almost install SQL Server 2008 Express, nearly there!
Just when its almost complete installation, the SQL Installation Centre appears. I presume this is something to do with the .prq file.
I am using the following:

I just need to install the SQL Engine, automatically, how do I do that?

I have read http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144259.aspx#Feature but I can't seem to get this working

Thanks,
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

..could anyone help with this as this is the only thing that is preventing a complete and successful installation?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Did you try the /Q switch?
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

I just tried:

but it then said "The installation of SQL Server 2008 appears to have failed, etc?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You may need to update the prerequisite condition for your custom instance as follows:

SQLDB\MSSQLServer\CurrentVersion"..... >
0 Kudos
pulsar
Level 4

No, that didn't work either.

Please see below for a copy of my .prq file for SQL Server 2008 Express, what have I done wrong?

0 Kudos