cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ndimopoulos
Level 3

Pointers needed - .NET project with AppPools

Greetings,

I have a project (.NET) that I am trying to create an installation package for.

My requirements are:

- Show a dialog to obtain a valid username and a password.
- Use those two to create an Application Pool
- Create a Site
- Create an application that uses the pool defined above
- Obtain SQL credentials
- Test the MSSQL connection
- Write those credentials in a config file
- Sign the DLLs with our certificate.

So far I have used the Basic MSI, Installscript project and created the app pool, the site as well as the application. I have added a Login dialog to obtain the credentials for the creation of the App pool.

I have set the SpecificUser property of the app pool to [APP_POOL_USERNAME] and did the same for the relevant textbox property of the dialog.

The problem that I have is that although the dialog pops up and I can select a user, when I click OK the name of the user does not populate the user name text box (of the dialog) and even though I add a valid password it doesn't create the app pool.

I tried following the instructions on this blog http://scmmentor.blogspot.com/2012/01/installshield-how-to-specify.html but got lost at step 16, since I cannot find where the Installscript is. The relevant section in the Installation designer doesn't have any entries.

Any pointers on how the above can be achieved would be more than appreciated.

Thank you!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
ch_eng
Level 7

Hello,

I don't know how to do what you are asking in a Basic MSI project, but I can tell you that the code sample in your link is from an InstallScript MSI project. Sorry I can't be of more help.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

The problem that I have is that although the dialog pops up and I can select a user, when I click OK the name of the user does not populate the user name text box (of the dialog) and even though I add a valid password it doesn't create the app pool.

Is your Login dialog an MSI dialog? i'm assuming that you have a couple fields on some dialog, and then you click a button on that dialog which opens the Login dialog that you created, and then you expect that the value selected in that dialog will populate a field on the "parent" dialog. Is that correct?

Also, if you set the required execution level for your setup.exe to Administrator, you can make sure that the installer has the permissions to modify IIS. I don't think that ISIISInstall uses impersonation.
0 Kudos
ndimopoulos
Level 3

ch_eng wrote:
Hello,

I don't know how to do what you are asking in a Basic MSI project, but I can tell you that the code sample in your link is from an InstallScript MSI project. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sorry about that it is a Basic MSI, Installscript. Edited the original post.
0 Kudos
ndimopoulos
Level 3

Kelter wrote:
Is your Login dialog an MSI dialog? i'm assuming that you have a couple fields on some dialog, and then you click a button on that dialog which opens the Login dialog that you created, and then you expect that the value selected in that dialog will populate a field on the "parent" dialog. Is that correct?

Also, if you set the required execution level for your setup.exe to Administrator, you can make sure that the installer has the permissions to modify IIS. I don't think that ISIISInstall uses impersonation.

@Kelter Yes you are correct.

Initially I created an MSI Login dialog. Added it to my sequence and set the properties of the text boxes to [APP_POOL_USER] and [APP_POOL_PASSWORD]. In the IIS area/App pool I set the SpecificUserName to APP_POOL_USER and the same for the password.

I would expect it to use the particular username and password (what I select that is) to be the user that runs the app pool.

The user that I am running the installer (setup.exe) is an Administrator and actually I select the same user to be the one that runs the App pool.

What I found out is that when I add the Login dialog (MSI), it comes up oddly with a 0 in the user name text box and the same in the password. After that, when I select the correct user and password it does nothing - just hangs there.

I am wondering if I need to start all over again with just writing installscript directives to achieve what I need...
0 Kudos