cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FlashT
Level 4

Please, help with advanced action... Update.

Hello,
I'm pretty new with InstallShield and got following problem:

My applications have updater. The updater is the same for all applications. It detects installed software and updates it if needed. It's being installed in own directory, acts as windows service.

The problem appears when you want to install second application (with the same updater). In such a situation, the updater from previous app probably is running...

I would like InstallShield to detect if updater service is installed.

If its not, install it normally.
If it is,
-If existing updater version (in executable version information) is older, update it somehow (stopping service, overwrite, start service? or maybe just rename the file to .tmp and install new)
- If existing updater version is newer, leave it alone, don't install.

Could anybody help me with that? It has to be working on Vista aswell.

Best regards,
FlashT
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

Which project type do you use to install your updater application?
0 Kudos
FlashT
Level 4

Hmm... I don't know, did't start it yet, gathering information. It will be full installation, not update.
0 Kudos
FlashT
Level 4

It seems that my problem is about the way IS overwrites files... I understand that it does overwrite them if previous file is older (older version), but what happens if it's running right now?
0 Kudos
Not applicable

it sounds like you may want to check out the following blog:
http://blogs.msdn.com/windows_installer_team/archive/2005/09/19/470980.aspx

Specifically, the 2nd question of "What happens when a file is in use on uninstall? If it is marked for deleting in place on reboot. will a reboot be required before an install of the same file by another install? If it is first moved to a temp directory or renamed and then marked for delete on reboot, is a reboot not required before an install of the same file by another install? "
0 Kudos