cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rossbcl
Level 3

Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen - NOT WORKING

Hello!

I have 3 shortcuts, 1 for Windows App, and the other 2 are for two different pages on my Web App

The installer only displays the Windows App shortcut and one of the other two.

I have tried to:
[LIST=1]
  • Put the web pages shortcuts on separate Features
  • Put the web pages shortcuts on different (separated) Source folders
  • Put the shortcuts on different (separated) Target folders (destination)
  • I tried other (almost all) suggested fixes and workarounds on the internet, but still couldn't get it to work as expected.

I am using IS 2014 Primier, I put 'YES' on Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen on all shortcuts. I then tried to put 'NO' on Pin to Windows 8 Start Screen on all shortcuts and tested it but the 2 icons on the Windows 8 Start Screen are still showing.

Hope anyone from here can help me?

Thank you!
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (4) Replies
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

If you're actually testing on Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 8, this is a known behavior. Unfortunately the wording we chose to describe this option ended up being rather misleading when the behavior was changed in Windows 8.1. See this thread for more details. Do note that a tile is created in the All Apps screen, and that a user must elect to pin it for it; this applies to all application shortcuts.
    0 Kudos
    rossbcl
    Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
    If you're actually testing on Windows 8.1 rather than Windows 8, this is a known behavior. Unfortunately the wording we chose to describe this option ended up being rather misleading when the behavior was changed in Windows 8.1. See this thread for more details. Do note that a tile is created in the All Apps screen, and that a user must elect to pin it for it; this applies to all application shortcuts.

Thanks Michael!

I am testing on a Windows 8 Enterprise Virtual Machine which is hosted on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine.

Unfortunately for me, one icon/shortcut is really not showing even on the "App Apps Screen".

Are we waiting for an updated from Microsoft (I hope) or Flexera?

Thanks again!

Ross
    0 Kudos
    rossbcl
    Level 3

Thanks MichaelU!

I am testing on a Windows 8 Enterprise Virtual Machine which is hosted on a Windows 8.1 Pro machine.

Unfortunately for me one icon/shortcut is really not showing even on the "All Apps Screen".

Are we waiting for a Windows Update (I hope soon) or IS Update?

Thanks again!

Ross
    0 Kudos
    MichaelU
    Level 12 Flexeran
    Level 12 Flexeran

If a shortcut created somewhere beneath the ProgramMenu folder does not show up as a tile in the All Apps area, then I'm not sure what the cause is. I've long suspected some filtering for excluding non-apps such as links to help files. There's also the possibility of a second shortcut to the same EXE being ignored (described in this blog post).
    0 Kudos