cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vvasilev
Level 4

Paths and settings gone in Change/Repair Mode

Hi everyone,

the installation of the features (products) I have in InstallShield works great.
Nevertheless when I go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel, click "Modify", choose "Modify" again and try to add/remove/update a feature,
all my selections and settings, which I chose during the installation, are gone! All the features in the Custom Setup dialog appear as unselected, also all path variables are empty. The Installer doesn't know where the source files are and what was (or wasn't) installed...
And of course I can't do anything and get only errors. 😞

Did I miss something to set up or this is standard behaviour?
What can be done in this case?

I am working with IS 2009 Pro and my project is a Basic MSI one.

Thanks in advance,
Vasil
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
vvasilev
Level 4

Anyone? :confused:
Please...
0 Kudos
vvasilev
Level 4

:confused: :confused:
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

This behavior typically should not occur unless the product and feature registration actions in the installation were removed or conditioned out (RegisterUser, RegisterProduct, PublishProduct, and PublishFeatures) or if the Windows Installer configuration data was corrupted (possibly through modifying Windows Installer owned registry keys).

You should be able to verify the product and feature registration actions are properly included in the package by running full MSI validation (Build->Validate->Full MSI Validation Suite from InstallShield).
0 Kudos
vvasilev
Level 4

Attached is a screenshot of what I get after running the full validation...

Are these warnings the source of my problem? It doesn't make sense somehow... 😮

My custom action is scheduled before the registration actions. I think that's hoe it should be or I'm wrong? (second screenshot).

Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

The validation output (assuming that is the complete output in the screenshot) does not contain any likely indications of what is causing this behavior.

The sequencing of your custom action should only matter if it depends on something being installed with the currently installing product.

Is this behavior occurring on multiple machines or only some? Also, can you attach verbose logs of the install and maintenance modes?
0 Kudos
vvasilev
Level 4

This is occurring on every machine, on which I've already tested.

What exactly do you mean with "install and maintenance mode" and how to create such logs?
0 Kudos
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

A log of a first time install can be created with the following command line:
setup.exe /v"/l*v C:\PathToLog\LogFile.log"

After the product is installed, a maintenance operation can be logged with the following command line:
msiexec.exe /I {ProductCode} /l*v C:\PathToLog\MaintenanceLog.log
0 Kudos