cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hkjang
Level 4

Patch scenario not working...

After releasing our base product (7.2.0), Service Pack 1 (7.2.1) has been released.
Service pack 1 was created using Patch Design View. So, it's a patch form.
Now, I need to create a small patch using a Patch Design View, and this patch is targeting the base product (7.2.0) only.
The patch shouldn't be able to install if SP1 is already installed.
If a user tries to install this patch on top of service pack 1, I need to display an error message and abort the patch setup.
I've added a new InstallScript custom action to check for installed version.
But, if I already have the service pack 1 installed, the new custom action doesn't seem to run.
It's not just skipping it. It looks like MSI doesn't recognize the new custom action at all.
MSI log doesn't even mention the new custom action.

IS support is saying that if my patch targets the base product only, it should say that this patch can’t be run because the program to be upgraded is missing.
But, I tested with small installers that install one file and that's not the case.
The patch install goes through to the end and it doesn't complain.

If there's another way to display the message and abort the setup, what would it be?
Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
DLee65
Level 13

Where in the MSI sequence do you have the custom action scheduled? Is it scheduled for immediate execution, deferred execution, etc.?

Can you provide the condition you have set on the custom action? Also is there anything that precedes this custom action that could cause it to not run. Like is it only scheduled to run if the app is not installed?
0 Kudos
hkjang
Level 4

It's an immediate execution (Always Execute) right after ISSetupFilesExtract in UI sequence.
The only condition on the custom action is PATCH.
I've tried it with no condition, but I get the same result.
I'd like to have the message pop up before PatchWelcome dialog..
Thanks.
0 Kudos