cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dlphillips
Level 3

Patch Nightmare - FileName Mismatch due to Short/Long name conversion in Merge Module

:mad:

I am trying to build a conventional patch for version 6.0.0800 of my product to 6.0.0801. The original version was created with Install Shield 10, the upgraded version is build with Install Shield 2008 Professional. Only five files will change in this patch. I've already tried a quick patch, which screwed up the target because it uninstalled everything first, causing loss of service configuration info and other very important stuff.

This project includes many merge modules. When I build the patch, every merge module file in my project generates the following TOTALLY UNDOCUMENTED warning:

WARNING (11): File.FileName mismatch between Upgraded ('SampleBuild1.bat') and Target ('SAMPLE~1.BAT|SampleBuild1.bat') Images means old files may be orphaned. File Table Key: SampleBuild1.bat.F52C1CAD_D100_451A_96F0_CFDE7EE72D15
Patch API could not create a small patch; using whole upgraded file.
Including entire file: 'Y:\tpb\install\totalplantbatch_6.0.0801\cm_release_builds\6.0.0801\diskimages\disk1\.\program files\Honeywell\TotalPlant Batch\.\Scripts\SampleBuild1.bat';
FTK=SampleBuild1.bat.F52C1CAD_D100_451A_96F0_CFDE7EE72D15; temp location=Family1\00685.FLE.

Obviously, these warnings are a confusion between the FileName entries in the MSI File Table where the previous release used short/long filename context, and InstallShield 2008 does import the Merge Module files with this convention when merging the modules on the new build. This is a disaster because a patch cannot be succesfully built.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
JamieRudd
Level 3

I've seen the exact same error, but not with a Merge Module. We have an application Server with a large number of unversioned files, and seemingly random ones see this same problem when building a patch. However, I don't see it when creating using QuickPatches for the same install, so issue our patches that way instead. Hoping it gets fixed as I prefer the standard patch method, it's much simpler...

Jamie
0 Kudos
dlphillips
Level 3

Don't hold your breath on getting this fixed. To date, none of the problems I have submitted for Install Shield products, including those as far back as 1995, have ever been fixed.

There only focus is on current product and revenue generation. They really don't care about problems found, especially in complex install projects that use features most simple installs don't, which are also the features they obviously don't test. They just plod on to the next major release, always changing things, but seldom fixing bonafide problems that migrate from prior releases. A classic example is upgrade installs, which have never worked to Windows Installer spec.

Unless they are threatened with loss of a fairly lucrative corporate account, they wont even answer the e-mail messages or the postings on this service.
0 Kudos