cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Holger_G
Level 10

Patch Design: Update.exe vs. Patch.msp

Hello,

what are the disadvantages of releasing a single patch package .msp file instead of using Update.exe for a multi language based installation?

I know that the main benefit of using Update.exe is to install redists like .NET or a newer MSI version. It also uses commandline paramters to set REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL. But that will also be handled across the PatchWelcome dialog events, correct?

I ask because our final patch has a size of about 300mbyte and running Update.exe takes a lot of time to uncompress the files to the %TEMP% folder and during that time there is no progress so that the user might think the update did not start correctly and he clicks multiple times the executable.

So can we release a single .msp patch package without any risk to our costumers?

Thanks
Holger
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
HennoKeers
Level 7

Holger_G wrote:
Hello,

what are the disadvantages of releasing a single patch package .msp file instead of using Update.exe for a multi language based installation?

I know that the main benefit of using Update.exe is to install redists like .NET or a newer MSI version. It also uses commandline paramters to set REINSTALLMODE and REINSTALL. But that will also be handled across the PatchWelcome dialog events, correct?

I ask because our final patch has a size of about 300mbyte and running Update.exe takes a lot of time to uncompress the files to the %TEMP% folder and during that time there is no progress so that the user might think the update did not start correctly and he clicks multiple times the executable.

So can we release a single .msp patch package without any risk to our costumers?

Thanks
Holger

Holger,

I think that the biggest advantages of an MSP is:
* It is the standard for patching MSI installations.
* Customers can integrate an MSP with their installation.
* MSP's are well supported in software distribution environments.

What do think would be the "risk" ?

reg, Henno.
0 Kudos
Holger_G
Level 10

HennoKeers wrote:
Holger,

I think that the biggest advantages of an MSP is:
* It is the standard for patching MSI installations.
* Customers can integrate an MSP with their installation.
* MSP's are well supported in software distribution environments.

What do think would be the "risk" ?

reg, Henno.

I just want to know if there are any other advantages of the Update.exe except that ones I wrote down.
0 Kudos