cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
boris_klyachko
Level 2

Passing parameters to Managed-Code CA

Hi there

I'm converting an old visual deployment project to IS LE for VS 2010.

The .NET assemblies that I'm installing have classes derived from Installer. For each of these assemblies I have checked "Installed Class" check box on COM & .NET Settings tab of the File Properties dialog.

As expected protected override void OnBeforeInstall(IDictionary savedState) is called but I can't figure out how to pass parameters to the method. My aim is to use Context.Parameters["XYZ"].

Is it achievable in IS LE? Or do I need full edition of Install Shield to do it?

Please point me to some samples or docs.

Unfortunately the documentation for IS LE is a bit light on this subject. I found some threads within this forum but they point to dead references.

Thank you
Boris
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Boris,

DLL Custom Action functionality is available in InstallShield Premier/Professional/Express Edition. InstallShield Limited Edition includes support for executable file, VBScript, and JScript custom actions, but it does not include support for DLL custom actions.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
boris_klyachko
Level 2

"Installed Class" check box on COM & .NET Settings tab of the File Properties dialog is editable and Installer overrides are called in this version - the only functionality missing is settinf Context.Parameters dictionary.

Just to clarify - I'm not after calling C-style functions from a DLL, my question is about Managed .NET CLR custom actions that appesr to be available in this version.

Please confirm
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Boris,

Could you kindly refer the following KB article which states about COM and .NET Settings Tab.

http://kb.flexerasoftware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=InstallShield2011Express-IDlgFilePropertiesComNetSettingshtm&sliceId=&docTypeID=DT_MACROVISIONHELPNET_1_1&dialogID=114152676&stateId=0%200%20114150249

You can also check the following topic under help of InstallShield Limited Edition.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos
eric_anderson
Level 2

Did anyone ever provide a response to this? Looks like the converter from setup projects transfers over the arguments as specified in the setup project. But then there is no way to edit them through the InstallShield LE UI... I was able to edit using Orca, of course, but this is no solution.
0 Kudos
bharath_k_s
Level 7

Hello Eric,

I'm currently working on the issue and i would update you as soon as i have further information.

Thanks,
Bharath
0 Kudos