cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ch029448
Level 4

Order of Installation

I hope this is a simple question.

I have an Installscript project. 3 Features, 4 components, no single component is a member of multiple features.

I wan't to exexute an event handler after that feature's files have been installed to the target machine. This particular feature only has one component, and this feature's files need to be the first files moved to the target machine during the setup. How do I control the order that files/components/features are installed on to the target machine (and it's not readily apparent to me if I have control over the order of installation of FEATURES, or COMPONENTS, or BOTH) Please advise.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
esiemiat
Level 9

Features should be installed in the order they appear in the Feature list. Features on top first, and the feature on the bottom last.
0 Kudos
ch029448
Level 4

Thanks for the reply. That is what I assumed, but that is not what I am observing.
0 Kudos
ch029448
Level 4

Well I did find some information in the Installshield 2008 help file indicating that feature event handlers cannot be execuated until Windows Installer has completed the file transfer of all features to the target machine.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I cannot execute my OnInstalled feature event handler for any one feature until all features have been moved to the target machine.

This is a bit frustrating. What's the point of even having specific OnInstalled event handlers for each feature if they can't be executed during the file transfer process. I'm at a loss. In very old versions of Installshield you could execute an event handler mid-way through the entire file transfer process after a specific file group was transferred. I need to perform some actions with specific files that are being transfered to the target machine BEFORE subsequent files contained within my setup are transfered. Seems to me I can not do this. Am I understanding this correctly?
0 Kudos
meliason
Level 2

Could you use the OnInstallingFile event under Move Data? Not sure if that'll do exactly what you're looking for, but it might be an option if you need to get at a particular file in a feature. The commented header of that function says "The OnInstallingFile event is called when a file is about to be installed..."
0 Kudos