cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sirkkeli
Level 3

Oracle, 64-bit Server 2008 and ISSQLServerValidate

Hello,

I have a problem when installing software to 64-bit Server 2008 and connection to Oracle 10g/11g is required.

I have installed 64-bit Oracle Client Components from Oracle web site and our software is working correctly with those components if I install it manually (not using installer). But if I try to install software with installer then following error messages are popping up when running ISSQLServerValidate action on SQLLogin dialog:

"The Oracle(tm) client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3 (or greater) client software installation. You will be unable to use this driver until these component have been installed."

And

"Error 27502. Could not connect to Oracle 'TESTSERVICE'. [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed (0)'."

If I modify ISSQLDBMetaData table with direct editor with following changes:

AdoDriverName={Oracle in OraClient11g_home2}
AdoCxnServer=DBQ=
ISAttributes=6

Then installer is not giving the first error message about Client Components but ODBC Driver Manager error still exists.

Does anyone got ideas about this? Is this somehow connected to user account that runs validation sql on ISSQLServerValidate action?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello again,

I used ODBC Trace and found that following error occurs during ISSQLServerValidate action:

MsiExec 948-994 ENTER SQLSetConnectAttrW
SQLHDBC 02851CF0
SQLINTEGER 103
SQLPOINTER 0x0000001E
SQLINTEGER -6

MsiExec 948-994 EXIT SQLSetConnectAttrW with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
SQLHDBC 02851CF0
SQLINTEGER 103
SQLPOINTER 0x0000001E (BADMEM)
SQLINTEGER -6

MsiExec 948-994 ENTER SQLDriverConnectW
HDBC 02851CF0
HWND 00000000
WCHAR * 0x71D4B1C0 [ -3]
SWORD -3
WCHAR * 0x71D4B1C0
SWORD -3
SWORD * 0x00000000
UWORD 0

MsiExec 948-994 EXIT SQLDriverConnectW with return code -1 (SQL_ERROR)
HDBC 02851CF0
HWND 00000000
WCHAR * 0x71D4B1C0 [ -3]
SWORD -3
WCHAR * 0x71D4B1C0
SWORD -3
SWORD * 0x00000000
UWORD 0

DIAG [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (0)

Any ideas, please?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for Help in Advance

Sirkkeli
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(16) Replies
sirkkeli
Level 3

The same problem exists also with 64-bit Server 2003. There is error when ISSQLServerValidate-action executes SQLSetConnectAttrW-function:

MsiExec 948-994 EXIT SQLSetConnectAttrW with return code 0 (SQL_SUCCESS)
SQLHDBC 02851CF0
SQLINTEGER 103
SQLPOINTER 0x0000001E (BADMEM)
SQLINTEGER -6

Any ideas?

Sirkkeli
0 Kudos
rcuadra
Level 6

Can someone from the developer team answer this question? It seems like IS only works when you have 32 bit version of the client and does not work when it sees a 64 bit version of the client.
0 Kudos
hagaydavid
Level 2

same problem, no good news ?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Can you try installing the 32-bit version of the Oracle Instant Client on the 64-bit systems, and see if that resolves the issue? The Oracle support in InstallShield requires the 32-bit version of the Oracle Instant Client software, even on 64-bit target systems.

I hope that helps.
0 Kudos
rcuadra
Level 6

DebbieL wrote:
Can you try installing the 32-bit version of the Oracle Instant Client on the 64-bit systems, and see if that resolves the issue? The Oracle support in InstallShield requires the 32-bit version of the Oracle Instant Client software, even on 64-bit target systems.

I hope that helps.

Is InstallShield planning to resolve this in the near future? Also is there a plan to have a separate dialog that prompts for user for credentials to connect to an Oracle database?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I would recommend that you create a database driver installation package that installs both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Oracle Instant Client on 64-bit systems because the database driver installation packages provided from Microsoft and MySQL install both 64-bit and 32-bit versions of their database drivers on 64-bit systems.

InstallScript and InstallScript MSI projects display a SQLLogin dialog for each connection defined in the SQL Scripts view. Basic MSI projects display a SQLLogin dialog for each project by default even if multiple connections present. Please refer to this community thread on how to display multiple SQLLogin dialogs in Basic MSI projects.
0 Kudos
hagaydavid
Level 2

Oracle client 32b works ok but I need it to work with oracle client 64b
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

I think that you are able to run SQL scripts against 64-bit Oracle database server using 32-bit Oracle Instant Client on 64-bit systems. Is there any specific reasons why you want to use 64-bit Oracle Instant Client?
0 Kudos
jjboswel
Level 2

I too am having this issue. Our software requires Oracle 11g x64 client or server (with client) pre-installed, and we want the install kit to accept connection string login details and test them.

It is not acceptable to install or ask our customers to install 32bit Oracle 11g on Windows 2008 x64, just for the purposes of testing a connection. Our customers will often block or at least strongly question why 32bit software needs to be installed on a 64 bit system, and saying "because InstallShield needs it" is not an acceptable answer.

Therefore I request InstallShield is updated with a connection test routing that is 64 bit compatible.

Please can you indicate when this feature will be implemented?

James Boswell

PS We are currently on InstallShield 2010.
0 Kudos
halikkat
Level 3

Hi,

Is there any update on this?
Does InstallShield 2012 support Oracle 64-bit drivers?

I want to create true 64-bit installation but now I have to use Oracle 32-bit drivers to connect to Oracle Database.

Please help.
0 Kudos
halikkat
Level 3

Any update ????:confused:
0 Kudos
halikkat
Level 3

Any update!!!

Is InstallShield supporting 64-bit oracle drivers ever????

I need 64-bit support urgently.:confused:
0 Kudos
aries613
Level 2

Could you solve the problem now?
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

The enhancement work order #IOA-000076442 has been filed in order to track this issue. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
0 Kudos
Manjunathsp
Level 3

With "InstallShield 2014" has this issue been resolved? I still seem to be getting the same error on x64 bit servers with only x64bit oracle client installed. However, the installer works if x32 bit oracle drivers are available on the client machine?

Regards,
Manjunath
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

InstallShield 2014 includes support for creating pure 64-bit .msi and .msm packages that use the 64-bit version of database drivers. Please refer to the Selecting the Appropriate Type of Architecture Validation for Builds help topic for more information.
0 Kudos