cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shchors
Level 3

One service in different installations

I have two different services, let's name them serv1 and serv2. Also I have third service which can monitor serv1 and serv2 sending them "ping" request. If serv1 or serv2 didn't reply for ping request for a long time monitor service will restart hanged service. Which services should be monitored I adjust in registry. So, monitor service can monitors one or both services.

I have two different installations for serv1 and serv2. Each installation contains component which contains monitor service. If I install this component, monitor service will install, it's registry options updated to monitor service from this installation. If I uninstall this component, registry options for monitor service will clear and monitor service will remove.

It works fine if I install serv1 and serv2 on different machines.

But if I want to install serv1 and serv2 on the same machine my scheme doesn't work. First installation installs monitor service. Second installation try to install already installed service which cause reboot. If I uninstall one of installations it removes monitor service completely, but I need it for second installation.

How can I create two different installations with common component in my case?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
shchors
Level 3

Can anyone help me? Or just point me some keywords describing where I have to search an aswer?
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

What kind of project? If MSI, you'll want to ensure the shared service component is identical---component code GUID, settings, files, registry data, everything---between the two projects, so MSI can keep track of the number of clients. You can export components from one project to another, create a merge module, create a prerequisite, or other options...
0 Kudos
shchors
Level 3

Oh, of course, sorry, I forget about type of project.

I use InstallScript MSI.

Thank you for the suggestion. Does this suggestion work for InstallScript MSI project?
0 Kudos