Did you mean: 
dlamana
Level 3

Note: 1: 1729 Error But Only on 64 Bit OS from Add Remove Programs Change

Greetings,

I have a basic MSI that is generating the following:

=== Logging stopped: 4/25/2011 12:32:31 ===
MSI (c) (A0:9C) [12:32:31:981]: Note: 1: 1729
MSI (c) (A0:9C) [12:32:31:981]: Product: [name] -- Configuration failed.

MSI (c) (A0:9C) [12:32:31:981]: Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: [name]. Product Version: 4.40.0. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: [company]. Reconfiguration success or error status: 1602.

MSI (c) (A0:9C) [12:32:31:981]: Grabbed execution mutex.
MSI (c) (A0:9C) [12:32:31:981]: Cleaning up uninstalled install packages, if any exist
MSI (c) (A0:9C) [12:32:31:981]: MainEngineThread is returning 1602
=== Verbose logging stopped: 4/25/2011 12:32:31 ===

However, this only happens when you are upgrading via Change -> Modify from the Add/Remove Programs menu. If you launch the installer directly and upgrade, you will be successful.

Thoughts?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
joshstechnij
Level 10 Flexeran
Level 10 Flexeran

Can you clarify what you mean by "upgrade" from running maintenance from Add/Remove Programs? Generally speaking, upgrades can not be performed with MSI based installations.

Also, the error status 1602 indicates the user aborted the installation.
0 Kudos
dlamana
Level 3

The error occurs when the user wants to change the Product ID associated with the product. So going from a limited features license to a full featured license. I tracked the issue down to where we have the following VBS script being executed as an Immediate Action:

[CODE]

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set xmlDoc = CreateObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM")

xmlDoc.async = "false"
xmlDoc.validateOnParse = False

strFileName = [path to XML file]

If (fso.FileExists(strFileName)) Then
xmlDoc.load (strFileName)
xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("var1").item(0).text = Session.Property("prop1")
xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("var2").item(0).text = Session.Property("prop2")
xmlDoc.getElementsByTagName("var3").item(0).text = Session.Property("prop3")
xmlDoc.save (strFileName)

End If
[/CODE]

The code fails at the "xmlDoc.save" portion, but all I can get out of the log is that the custome action had a return value of 3. I have tried to perform the action as a deferred action in system context, but I get the cannot write script error (as if you placed the custom action outside the Install Initialize/Finalize sequence.

This issue (when executed as an immediate action) only occurs when modifying via Add/Remove Programs. If user launches the setup.exe through BAT file or double-click, they do not have any issues. Setup.exe is set to require Administrator level privileges.
0 Kudos