cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Device
Level 2

No SQL scripts during MSI installer on Japanese Windows XP

we have to install our product with InstallShield on several systems. During installation we have to execute some SQL scripts, this works properly in nearly every case. Except a Japanese Windows XP we have (x86 with SP3). (It doesn't fail on every machine, just on some).

First it happen that, even the installation was running and end without an error output, the application was not running because of missing database and SQL instance settings. In the MSI I first found no problem.

I found registry entries which has expand the log file a little more, and because of that I was able to see an error on one place. The installer is not possible to extract the SQL scripts out of the installer temp files.

This is how a working installation looks:

[CODE]
MSI (s) (D0:CC) [06:32:27:394]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI2B17.tmp, Entrypoint: ISSQLServerCosting
1: Beginning SQL Server Costing Process...
1: Reading the SQL script data from ISSQLConnection table...
1: ISSQLRequirement table does not exist...
1: Finished SQL Server Costing Process...
1: Setting Costing Info Location ISSQLServerInstall : C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\~2B44.tmp
MSI (s) (D0!9C) [06:32:27:465]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding ISSQLServerInstall property. Its value is 'C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Temp\~2B44.tmp'.
[/CODE]

(There are some more "Setting Costing Info Location" lines with "PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding".)

But on the not working Japanese XP it looks like:

[CODE]
MSI (s) (8C:E0) [14:51:37:031]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI30.tmp, Entrypoint: ISSQLServerCosting
1: Beginning SQL Server Costing Process...
1: Reading the SQL script data from ISSQLConnection table...
1: An unhandled exception occurred in ExtractScriptFile()
1: Finished SQL Server Costing Process...
1: Setting Costing Info Location ISSQLServerInstall :
1: Setting Costing Info Location ISSQLServerUninstall : [/CODE]

There we see unhandled exceptions and no result for the actions.
[LIST=1]
  • In a MS help page I saw for "unhandled exceptions" that this may caused by errors in the netapi32.dll, so I tried to replace it with another version. This has not changed anything, further was during installation the newer version replaced by the original one anyhow.
  • There are the same amount of temp files during installation (in %temp%) which will be created on working systems as well.
  • On a virtual machine with the Japanese Windows XP it works normally, I find no difference.
  • All works find and without errors, just the missing SQL scripts happen on that system. The installation itself does not end with an error.

I'm out of ideas 😕 Please help
  • Labels (1)
    0 Kudos
    (1) Reply
    Device
    Level 2

I figured out, it works if I change the "TEMP" and "TMP" paths to anything else.
    I don't know why the original temp paths has problems, temp files can be written and deleted, only extracting of the SQL files (or check in which temp script files are located) failes.

I compared with a working machine and the system user has no different rights or something.
    0 Kudos