cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bplivard
Level 4

New version detects older version as latest

Hello all,

I need help with a behavior I hadn't encountered before with basic MSI projects.
Until recently, I had the latest version detect an older one and uninstall it silently before installing it. so far so good.

As the tester encountered a problem with my latest version, I incremented the version in Product Properties, generated another product code and kept the upgrade code so I can specify the latest version is a major upgrade in the Upgrades view. The effect should be that any previous version should be uninstalled, and the latest version installed straight afterwards.

Unfortunately, things don't happen that way. Every time I execute the latest version, I get a message reading that a more recent version is already installed in the computer, and that it should be uninstalled before a previous version can be installed.

I've tried many different settings, incremented the version again, and I stil get the same message, which doesn't make sense at all.

Has anyone got a hint? Where did I go wrong?:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you create an MSI log file, is there any indication of where the message is coming from? Are you using setup.exe or just the MSI file?
0 Kudos
bplivard
Level 4

RobertDickau wrote:
If you create an MSI log file, is there any indication of where the message is coming from? Are you using setup.exe or just the MSI file?

Hello Robert,

Thanks for your quick reply.

To answer your question, I'm using setup.exe.

I tried quite a few things before you replied and managed to get out of my infernal circle. Here are the details:

In Upgrades (or upgrade table), I had two entries:
- The default one named ISPreventDowngrade with the ActionProperty: ISFOUNDNEWERPRODUCTVERSION
- One I created and named UninstallAllPrevious with ActionProperty: ISACTIONPROP1
They had the same settings on both the Common and Advanced tabs of the Upgrades view.

After many changes, I decided to delete both, build and execute setup.exe again (just to make sure I wouldn't see the message again;) ), then added only the UninstallAllPrevious, build and executed setup.exe, and I finally obtained a logical behavior, which is that the installed previous version of the product gets uninstalled when I execute the latest version of setup.exe.

I think I'm going to try and add the ISPreventDowngrade again to see what happens.

I hope this (long) post will be of use.:p
0 Kudos
bplivard
Level 4

Just a short post to confirm that after having added ISPreventDowngrade in Upgrades view again and tested, everything is back to normal (latest version of setup doesn't see older version as the latest one).
0 Kudos