cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morning
Level 2

New installshield project from old msi

Hi,

I need to create a new installshield package based on an existing installshield msi (earlier than installshield 2009). I just purchased a copy of installshield 2009.

I have been able to open the old msi with installshield but i am not sure how to map the files in my source computer to the files in the destination computer within the Files and Folders view. Or is there an easier way to convert an exiting msi to a basic msi project. Any help please.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
SMadden
Level 6

To create an InstallShield project from an MSI, you can use the open wizard.

Go to File / Open and set "Open As" to Wizard and "files of type" to Windows Installer Packages. Then open your msi and choose "Convert to InstallShield Project"

This is going to create an InstallShield project and extract all files that are included in the MSI into the your project folder under files.

You probably need to copy the files from a different location during the build then the one created by the Wizard, you can replace the files in "Files and Folder" view. Just drag and drop from source computer folder to the correct component under destination computer folder.

If there are too many components to do this manually, you could write a script that uses the automation interface to change the FullPath property of each file.

Here is the link to the online help about the automation interface: http://helpnet.acresso.com/Robo/BIN/Robo.dll?tpc=/robo/projects/installshield15helplib/IHelpAutoISWiFileObject.htm
0 Kudos