cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Richard_Tatlow
Level 2

New Short Cut dialog .EXE files not shown

I cannot create any short cuts because the 'New Short Cut' dialog does not show any of my .EXE files in the INSTALLDIR, etc. folders. It shows .XLS and .DLL files. I have reinstalled I2008E but with no effect. This has just started happening after several months trouble-free operation. Any suggestions anyone ? The answer must be very simple !!

On experimenting I find that if I do not use Dynamic File Linking, the executable files are accessible but if I use dynamic file linking (my normal approach) the files are invisible. Is this correct ?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
SherylSikora
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

You are correct. You must use a static link for any file you want to create a shortcut for. When you add a file to your project through dynamic links, the files are not physically added to the project. This means that these files do not have any file keys that can be associated with shortcuts.
(If my reply answers a question you have raised, please click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION".)
0 Kudos
Richard_Tatlow
Level 2

Thank you - that answers the question.
May I suggest that the HELP files are updated in the SHORT CUT pages to note this feature. The DYNAMIC LINK section mentions it but the SHORT CUT section - which is the section I read through several times - doesn't.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Thanks for the documentation improvement idea. I've logged this as issue IOC-000072258 in our tracking system.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software
0 Kudos
Sven_Dyrdal
Level 3

I'm not sure it is the same issue, but the desktop icon placed by I2008E does not show the icon included in the exe file. If sending a shortcut from the exe file after having installed the software, the icon is shown correctly. Can anyone advise how to overcome this problem?:confused:
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Hmm. I just did a quick test with a desktop shortcut for an .exe file in an InstallShield 2008 Express project, and it seemed to work for me.

Is the shortcut for a file that is being installed as part of your installation? Or does the shortcut point to a file that already exists on the target system?
0 Kudos
JMenke
Level 2

DebbieL wrote:
Thanks for the documentation improvement idea. I've logged this as issue IOC-000072258 in our tracking system.

Debbie Landers
Acresso Software

I realize this is an old case but the dynamic linked files also imped your ability to select the .NET Installer Class from within the Setup Design. I found you have to create a static file in order to alter these type of settings.

You may consider adding this to your Help Docs.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Good idea. Thanks for the suggestion. This is logged as issue IOC-000077378.
0 Kudos