cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mthode
Level 2

.Net Framework Dependecies

Is there a way to have the installer check for a .Net Framework dependency or newer version at the time of install. For example, if I check for .Net 4.6.1 (Value of 394271) but the target machine has .Net 4.6.2 (Value of 394806) the Registry Value field would be different. Is there a way to say because 4.6.2 is installed but 4.6.1 is the minimum needed that this would be okay and continue to allow the installation of the software?
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

What you want should be the default behavior within InstallShield.

When using InstallShield's built-in prerequisites, a property is made that stores the value of the version number which will get compared during run time. By default, it is set to "greater than or equal to" the value provided.

.NET Framework 4.6.1
On Windows 10 November Update systems it will have a value of: 394254
On all other OS versions: 394271

So the install condition would be: DOTNETVERSION461FUL>=#394254

If the return value is greater than or equal to 394254, then .NET Framework 4.6.1 will not be installed by the prerequisite.

If the returned value is lower, then the prerequisite is installed.

(The '#' symbol is needed due to the way Windows Installer returns the value of REG_DWORD registry keys and is expected)
0 Kudos
mthode
Level 2

I wish the built-in prerequisites were an option. The current built in options only go to 4.5 Full package, so I had to create a custom to check for the 4.6.1 based on the Registry Value. Would I be able to create an inequality like that in the Registry Value: (Optional) parameter to allow for updated .Net Frameworks?
0 Kudos
JohnTech
Level 6 Flexeran
Level 6 Flexeran

Unfortunately using a custom launch conditions with ISLE you would not be able to apply any comparison operators.

You may be able to script something to notify the user if the needed version was not installed, or you may be able to find someone on the boards here who has a .Net 4.6.1 .prq file that they are willing to share with you. (the ideal solution)
0 Kudos