cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
installdotnet
Level 3

Nested Installation

Hi all,

I m creating a nested installation. Actually I've created a Basic MSI Installation of my project. Which requires Flash Player 9 Activex installed on the system. I Have created a nested installation for flash player 9. which installs flash player 9 on the target machine fine. but when i manually want to uninstall flash player 9, it gives a message "Administrator has set privilages for this setup to continue" and I m not able to uninstall it.

I m not understanding why this happening. please tell me how can I Resolve this issue
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
KathyMorey
Level 10

My first suggestion would be not to use nested installs. They have been deprecated just for issues like this.

When you nest an install, it becomes part of the "parent" so far as Windows Installer is concerned. That means that you must service the "child" from the "parent", which means that you can't uninstall it separately from the "parent", as I understand it.

Could you install Flash as a prerequisite, instead?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I am also having an issue with Flash Player 9, using the merge module in my install does not seem to work. So I was looking at launching the self-extracting file, but that it has to be launched at the very end of the install otherwise it will fail because the main parent install is still running.

But I was wondering if it could be launched as a Prerequisites and if so can this only be done with .msi's or can you launch any exe type as a prerequisite?

If only .msi's then again we may end up with same issue as it seems that the Flash Player 9 .msi install does not work as well. At least for how we are trying to run flash files.

Any help would be appreciated.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

You can launch any type of file (.msi, .exe, etc.) as a setup prerequisite. The Setup.exe bootstrap launches the setup prerequisite before your main installation launches. So, you might want to try creating a setup prerequisite for the .msi file that installs the Flash Player.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

That was why I asked if the prerequisite can only use .msi files as we found out that the Flash Player 9 msi file also did not work for us. It was only the web self-extracting file that seemed to work.

So currently I have the self-extracting being launched at the very end of my install so that it does not fail with the other install running and it works, but it would be nice if we knew why the merge module did not work and if we could also get the exe file to run from the prerequisites.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Oh, sorry. I assumed that the reason that the .msi installation didn't work is because you were attempting to launch it as a nested installation. That's why I suggested that maybe you'd want to use it as a prerequisite, instead of using a nested custom action to launch it.

If launching the .exe at the end of the installation successfully installs the Flash Player, I would think that using the .exe as a prerequisite (which would install the Flash Player before your installation runs) would also successfully install the Flash Player.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay I created a small basic msi install that has both Flash Player 10 Activate X and Plugin msi's attached to it as prerequisites and they do install, but they do not run in silent mode.

I created 2 prerequisites for this. One for the activeX msi and one for the plugin mis. And then under the Application to Run I select the msi and for command line entries I enter /qn, which should run the install in silent mode. Under the Behavior tab I have it set to "The prerequisiste requires administrative privileges" and "The prerequisite should be hidden from the installation list"

When I run this install both flash player prerequisites are ran, but they are not in silent mode, they run in UI mode

from the command line is I enter:
msiexec /i "full path to msi\*.mis" /qn then the flash player install is silent.

If I do not include the msiexec /i on the command line then it will run in UI mode, even with the /qn. So this tells me that the prerequisiste is also launching the msi in this mode.

So since we do not enter the msiexec /i in the prerequisite it will run in UI mode, so is there a way to make sure it will trigger the msi in silent mode?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Did you also specify /qn in the second textbox (command line for the application when the setup is running in silent mode)?
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Yes I have it in both places, but I did not try running my main install in silent mode as I wanted to see if they got installed in UI mode first.
0 Kudos