2yz
Level 3

Need help with 64bit

Hi,

We have an Outlook addin that was developed over the years and installed via msi. When we moved to VS2012 for Office 2013, we converted the installer project to Install Shield LE. This works fine.

Now we're trying the same for 64bit Office 2013. Our original setup was with InstallShield 2012. I read somewhere that 2013 supported 64bit, so I upgraded to that version. The project is fine. I set the install directory to [ProgramFiles64Folder], but when it installs it keeps reverting to the x86 folder. The installerShiled output keeps complaining about not marking a 64bit component, but the LE edition doesn't allow me to mark it.

So, my question is, how can I do the setup to work like it does sucessfully using vbproj for Outlook 2010 64bit? I don't think it's unreasonable to want to do so as it was previously.

Regards,
0 Kudos
8 Replies
hidenori
Level 17

0 Kudos
2yz
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
Did you check the Challenges of Supporting Both 32-Bit and 64-Bit Target Operating Systems help topic?


Hi,

Yes I did. The project is a 64bit build, Files are set to install to ProgramFiles64Folder and there are no registry entries in HKLM, just user selectable.

Regards,
0 Kudos
2yz
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
Did you check the Challenges of Supporting Both 32-Bit and 64-Bit Target Operating Systems help topic?


Yes, it's a 64bit build, no registry settings to HKLM/Software (only UserSelectable) and target set to [ProgramFiles64Folder]
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Can you have a quick test with a new project created from scratch? I need you to add only one file to the ProgramFiles64Folder folder to see if the problem is reproducible.
0 Kudos
2yz
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
Can you have a quick test with a new project created from scratch? I need you to add only one file to the ProgramFiles64Folder folder to see if the problem is reproducible.


Hi Hidenori,

Thanks for your advise, I rebuilt the install project and can now get it to install into the correct folder, but I'm still facing an issue. We use a SetSecurity project to setup the required environment for the AddIn to run inside Outlook. If the project is not marked as an Installer Class, the msi installs (but doesn't obviously register as an addin). When marked as an Installer Class, I'm getting the 1001 error. It doesn't matter if the SetSecurity project is marked as 32bit or 64bit.

Any Ideas?
0 Kudos
2yz
Level 3

Hi Hidenori,

Any update? We still cant get this to work. If a project is marked as an installer class, is the project class the same bitness as the installed project? I know in the old installer, the installer ran as 32bit so the class needed to be 32. Does installshield msi run as 32bit or 64?
0 Kudos
2yz
Level 3

2yz wrote:
Hi Hidenori,

Any update? We still cant get this to work. If a project is marked as an installer class, is the project class the same bitness as the installed project? I know in the old installer, the installer ran as 32bit so the class needed to be 32. Does installshield msi run as 32bit or 64?


Any update?
0 Kudos
Chaitra
Level 9

Hi,

Kindly refer the below link which describes about the 1001 error:

http://flexerasoftware.force.com/articles/en_US/INFO/Q112469

Hope this helps.

Please let us know if you need more information on this issue.

Thanks,
Chaitra
0 Kudos