cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
more10
Level 3

Need help creating application on "Default Web Site"

I need to creat an installation for a c# web service installed under "Default Web Site".

In VS 2010 I have created a "Basic MSI" project in order to install my c# web service.

So far I can deploy all files to the correct location (C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ExternalPaymentService) in IIS 7 on my 64 bit Windows 7 dev machine. After running the installer all I need to do to make it work is "Convert to program" in "IIS manager", see attached images.

I have tried to create a dummy web site using default values for "IP Address" and "TCP Port Number", and an application under it, but the istaller rollbacks, with error message "CustomAction ISIISCosting returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)". According to old posts this should work by some kind of side effect.

I would appreciate any help, I have spent a full day trying to get this to work. I have even tried to scan a correct installation and creating my configuration from the xml.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
more10
Level 3

Finally got it to work. I created a Web Site and an application with the same name, and an app pool allowing 32-bit applications.
0 Kudos
more10
Level 3

Now I get the following error:

InstallShield 09:39:35: CommitChanges for path 'MACHINE/WEBROOT/APPHOST/Default Web Site/ExternalPaymentService' and physical path 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ExternalPaymentService\'.
InstallShield 09:39:35: CommitChanges failed with the following HRESULT: '-2147024891'.
InstallShield 09:39:35: Error with IISRT: -2147024891

Where do I find what the error code means?
0 Kudos
more10
Level 3

Error with IISRT: -2147024891

Before building the setup project, I need to have web.config checked out and build the service project.
0 Kudos
bdaniels
Level 3

more10 wrote:
Error with IISRT: -2147024891

Before building the setup project, I need to have web.config checked out and build the service project.

I know this is an old thread but I just had this issue when installing my web application using IS on Server 2012. Are you saying that the solution is to have the web.config file checked out at the time the web installer build is being made? That would be an acceptable workaround and is something I will test to see if it resolves my issue.
0 Kudos