cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Avner_Kashtan
Level 4

Multiple dependencies for Windows Services

Just a heads up for everyone about some difficulty I had.

I'm installing a Windows Service as part of a Basic MSI project and wanted to make the service dependent on two other services. The help text for the Dependencies property says "Separate multiple dependencies with a comma", which I did.
However, when I tried to start my service after installation, I got "Could not start because a dependency could not be found or is pending deletion". Looking at the service in the services console, it only listed the first dependency, not the second.

The reason for this is that I wrote my dependencies like this:
"FirstDependency, SecondDependency". Note the space after the comma. It caused the service to be dependent on "FirstDependency" and " SecondDependency".

Just changed it to remove the space ("FirstDependency,SecondDependency") fixed it for me.

I'll try opening a bug request for it, because there isn't really a good reason for this not to be handled by InstallShield.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
mjlarezzo
Level 5

This doesnt really sound like a bug to me. If I was told to seperate fields by a comma then I would not include any spaces. Scripting language is not like the English language, not the same rules apply.
0 Kudos
Avner_Kashtan
Level 4

mjlarezzo wrote:
This doesnt really sound like a bug to me. If I was told to seperate fields by a comma then I would not include any spaces. Scripting language is not like the English language, not the same rules apply.

This isn't a scripting language. This is a development IDE designed to abstract the details of the underlying system.
Additionally, adding a space after a comma is in very common use in scripting and programming languages (when specifying an array, for instance) and most if not all languages I know will ignore the space.
0 Kudos