cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
matopuro
Level 3

Multiple database installation problem

Hello,

I'm currently working on a Basic MSI Project in which I have to install 7 databases for the end user. There are a couple hundred SQL scripts to run, and they're somewhat equally divided among the 7 different databases. Each database has its own feature on the Setup Design, and all 7 features have specific Conditions for their installation (which have been tested to evaluate correctly at runtime). Each database has also its own SQL Connection on the SQL Scripts section. I have set up different Properties to use with the different Connections available, although a couple are shared among 3 databases. I didn't create a separate SQLLogin dialog for each connection; instead I used the same dialog and multiple fields with hide/show behaviors.

The problem is that only the scripts under the first database Connection get to be installed, although all of the catalogs are created on the server. Could anyone shed some light on this? Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

A verbose log might help you troubleshoot the issue. KB article Q104807 explains how to create the log.
0 Kudos
matopuro
Level 3

The log says that some of the connections do not have any SQL scripts under it (which is, of course, incorrect) and also that the scripts of the remaining connections are not scheduled to run.

Is it possible to associate a SQL Connection to a Setup Feature or all of the connections must be validated at runtime? I need to give the user options to selectively install the databases.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

If you remove the conditions on the SQL scripts, and/or on the features associated with the SQL scripts, does it make any difference? I am wondering if the conditions for the SQL scripts in question evaluate to false.
0 Kudos
matopuro
Level 3

No difference; removed all associated conditions and only one database gets installed. I don't know if it helps, but I changed the order of the connections and the previous first connection is still the one that gets to be installed (no, there are no conditions whatsoever left for this connection), so the problem is not actually with the "first connection" available. Hope this hasn't worsen things for me...
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Could you post the entire verbose log to this thread, or send it to me via a private message so that I can look into it?
0 Kudos
matopuro
Level 3

Well, I looked some more into the log file just to find out that a single common script stored elsewhere was missing from all of the SQL scripts lists (the error handling is set to "Goto Next Statement" since there are a couple of errors here and there that should be ignored)... which the dev team kindly forgot to let me know. Thanks for your support so far and sorry for the trouble, but I still have one problem...

As I said on the other post, is it possible to validate only a certain number of SQL connections? My end user should be able to install less than all databases, if possible.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You can use the IS_SQLSERVER_CONNECTIONS_TO_VALIDATE property to validate only a certain number of SQL connections when clicking the Next button on the SQLLogin dialog. If you want to skip one or more SQL connections during installation or uninstallation, use the IS_SQLSERVER_CXNS_ABSENT_FROM_INSTALL property. For more information, see Overriding the Default SQL Run-Time Behavior in Help Library.
0 Kudos