cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Multiple Program Instances in Add/Remove Programs

Hi,

We have multiple releases for an Windows application and we're seeing multiple instances of the install in "Programs and Features" (Win 7). We'd like to have previous installs uninstalled automatically when new install is executed, but, haven't found a successful way to do this.

We followed these steps to create a setup file:

1) Increment the assembly version's release number for the app
2) Change the Product Version in installation project to match the app's assmebly version
3) Generate new GUID for Product Code
4) Build

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
phill_mn
Level 7

I assume from your question that you are working with a MSI project, which I have very little experience with, but have been studying lately. From what I have read a MSI Major Upgrade requires both the Product Code change and the Product Version change you indicate, but it you are setting the Product Version to the applications version, you may be running into the situation where the first three fields of the version string did not change. That is OK for the application version as all four fields are used for the file transfer version checking, but to determine if a Major Upgrade is needed MSI only checks the first three fields. (And if I am giving you useless information I apologize!)
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Yes, it is MSI No, it's not a useless information - I have also tried using Product version that is different from Application version with no success. I did some more research and also judging from your response, changing the major number so that it counts as an upgrade might be the way to go.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Changing the major release version and having different versions for Product and Application didn't work... 😞
0 Kudos
iellis
Level 2

Do you have an entry in the Upgrade paths section?
Make sure the Max version matches your current version.
0 Kudos