cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rob_Cecco
Level 3

Multiple Instance support

Thanks to the InstallShield team for providing this support.

A couple questions on the new Multiple Instance support with Basic MSI projects:

1) when specifying another install instance I want to provide an alternate default install directory. I tried setting the INSTALLDIR property within the new Instance properties but when I run the installer I get Microsoft Install error 1606 "Could not access network location [2]" where [2] is [ProgramFilesFolder]MyFolder. It looks like the property ProgramFilesFolder is not getting expanded. Is there any way around this?

2) is there any way to dynamically set the name of the Taskbar and Desktop shortcuts? I tried to use the property [ProjectName] but it did not expand at install time. Again, for multiple instance support I would like to configure a new shortcut with a different name.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

I use a Type 51 CA scheduled before costing to transform the [INSTALLDIR] property.

As for shortcuts, MSI Shortut table isn't formattable. A custom action will be required. The two approaches I've used are:

1) Don't use Shortcut and just use InstallScript to create/remove the shortcuts

2) Update the Shortcut table dynamically at runtime to tweak the name.
0 Kudos
Rob_Cecco
Level 3

Thanks for the tips. I will have to brush up on some of these more advanced topics.
0 Kudos