cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

Multiple Instance Tutorial Anywhere?

I am requiring the need to install multiple instances of our product on the same machine. Is there a tutorial around that goes over this concept step for step?

Having multiple instances causes me to ask the following:

Q: Is it possible to know which installations are already installed at runtime?
Q: Is it possible to uninstall certain installations?
Q: Is it possible to patch certain or all installations?
Q: Is it possible to modify certain or all installations?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

So I've found that I may need to set the Maintenance environment to Mutli-Instance but it isn't listed under General Information. Where would it be?

I am creating an InstallShield MSI Project.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Naveed
Level 6

I am looking for the similar info? Did you get any material Daniel?

Naveed
0 Kudos
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

Well after some digging, I found out that in order to use multiple instances you must use a Basic MSI Project and the tab can be found here:

Installation Designer > Releases > New Product Configuration> Select Project Configuration 1 (Default name) > Multiple Instances Tab

Can someone answer me to why oh WHY this tab isn't available for an InstallShield MSI Project?!?
0 Kudos
Daniel_Dority
Level 6

I have abandoned InstallShield for its multi-instance capabilities or lack thereof to pursue the use of InstallShield as a tool to just install files, services and directories. After that installation, I will launch a custom configuration utility written in .NET to configure, install, uninstall, register components, start / stop services into the utility so I have the necessary items available during and after the installation process.
0 Kudos