cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
byteflyer
Level 2

Multiple Instance Build? Issue

I am trying to develop an installation project that will allow for multiple instances to be installed. (Web app with IIS virtual Directory) and have run into an issue.

When I build the project with the IDE I get the expected single .msi file with the instance transforms bundled within the .msi. When building the same project with the Standalone Build however, the result is the expected .msi file, but with InstanceId1.msi, InstanceId2.msi, etc. external to the project .msi file. When attempting to install the product to a numbered instance with the "external" instance transforms I receive an "Error reading from Transform..." message.

Am I missing a command line switch, or is there an issue with building this type of project with the Standalone Build tool?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is it possible that the build did not complete, and you just missed any reported errors? The instance transforms should always be embedded when the build completes successfully.
0 Kudos
byteflyer
Level 2

I do not believe so, as I am able to build the project via the IDE to a successful conclusion (a single .msi file). When building the same project from the ISCmdBld the process completes without error, but instead of the single .msi, the result is to have the desired .msi file along with an InstanceIdx.msi file for each Instance defined in the project.
0 Kudos
chgruber
Level 4

I've been trying to get these instance files external from the MSI - if you find out what you did/didn't do to make this happen, please let me know.
0 Kudos