cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Multiplatform Transition

I used to do Unix SysAdmin work, build/release using script based tarballs. For years I've focused on Windows and MSI. I've also done .Net C# development but not Java.

Lately I've been noticing a growing need for multiplatform installations. Does anyone have any insite to share on how much effort is involved in retooling your skillset to accomplish these types of installs?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
singletd
Level 4

Hi Chris
I've responded to some of your threads on AdminStudio before so it was a surprise to see you on this forum. We have similar backgrounds and skillsets so I thought I'd let you know my experience:

Firstly if you now java well you are at a distinct advantage and much of the functionality and definitions are logical. If like myself, I was a setup.exe/msi person the learning curve is much greater.

What you will find is to extend the functionality or to author custom dialogs you will need to program in java, this can be difficult as the API for MP is somewhat missing in good documentation. The other problem is the number of threads on these forums is substantially less so getting answers is not as easy as the AS forums.

Secondly, you need to be a SysAdmin on all the platforms you are targeting, for example I am supporting Linux, Windows and HP-UX and certainly there are differences between them all, some subtle, and some huge obviously.

In general basic installation projects do not take that much longer to author, though I would say it takes longer to learn the MP IDE than AS. It is the testing time and bug fixing for each platform that really consumes the time on basic projects.

On advanced projects the development time is much greater, again because you are supporting multiple os's, you are now effectively a java developer at this stage and potentially could have weeks of design and coding of new functionality if you want to go that far.

In some respects it is simpler to keep the installation as basic as possible and only provide the functionality that is provided by default in the IDE but as you well know most people want more :).

I still author advanced Windows installations in AS mainly because not all the functionality I need is not available in MP

Hope that helps

Cheers

DRS
0 Kudos
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

Hi DS

Thanks for your reply. You pretty much confirmed my worst case fears. I guess I'll stick to Windows a little while longer. 🙂
0 Kudos
singletd
Level 4

Hi Chris

Actually on the brighter side, msi & Wiindows are much of a muchness nowadays so its always nice to have a new challenge. 😄

Dave
0 Kudos