cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Megladon
Level 3

Moving the SQL Dialog

My project allows users to selectively install SQL Express if a network database is not available. The problem is SQL login dialog shows before the features are selected. How can I move the SQL login screen under one of my features? Any help is appreciated.

Todd
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

The SQLLogin dialog is displayed after the Customer Information dialog by default. You can change the dialog sequence by modifying the control events using the Dialogs | Behavior view. Please see Displaying Dialogs During Basic MSI Installations help topic for more information..
0 Kudos
Megladon
Level 3

Thank you for the reply. I have read this before. I'm new to Installshield. What I can't seem to grasp is how to place the dialog in just one feature. I tried to change the behavior but I don't see anything relating to when it appears in the sequence.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

You would need to use a condition in order to conditionally launch the SQLLogin dialog based on the selection of a feature. For a quick test, I changed the behavior of Next button control on the CustomSetup dialog as follows, and the SQLLogin dialog is only displayed when the MyFeature feature is selected to be installed:

"NewDialog" "OutOfSpace" "OutOfNoRbDiskSpace = 1"
"NewDialog" "ReadyToInstall" "OutOfNoRbDiskSpace <> 1 AND &MyFeature <> 3"
"NewDialog" "SQLLogin" "OutOfNoRbDiskSpace <> 1 AND &MyFeature = 3"
"[_IsSetupTypeMin]" "Custom" "1"
0 Kudos
seridhanraj
Level 3

Hi, i have the same issue
Did you associate your feature with any property? i see that you used "&Myfeature" and you set the value of 3. how and where you set that value of 3 to be used in this condition?

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

3 is a feature state value which is set by Windows Installer. Please see the Feature and Component State Values section in the Conditional Statement Syntax help topic for more information.
0 Kudos
seridhanraj
Level 3

Thanks! that helped. but even though i'm not displaying the sqllogin dialog, it still tries to connect to the database and i get an error almost at the end of the install "specified sql server not found or logon denied".
0 Kudos
hidenori
Level 17

Please make sure that the underlying components of your SQL scripts are associated with the feature that determines whether to launch the SQLLogin dialog or not. If you still have the problem, I would suggest that you generate a Windows Installer verbose log for the installation to find out why those components are getting installed.
0 Kudos
seridhanraj
Level 3

Thanks for the help. I accidentally associated one of the script file to the main feature. It's working as expected.
0 Kudos