cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ken_Hartlen
Level 4

Moving components from feature A to B using the Installation Designer breaks upgrades

Hi all,

I have a Basic MSI project that has been successfully performing upgrades (2.1->2.2 and 2.2->2.3) without the use of entries in the Upgrade Table.

I'm now working on version 2.4 of the Basic MSI project and when I added some new files I merely Dragged&Dropped from a Windows Explorer window onto the Installation Designer's Files and Folders window view. When I did this, the IDE added the new components to the ControlService feature. I guess because its the first in the alphabetical list of Feature names.

So, I Dragged&Dropped these components from the ControlService feature to their respective features in the Setup Design tree. The installation releases (Setup.exe and MSI) build fine and a fresh install is fine. However, if I try to upgrade from 2.1, 2.2 or 2.3 to the new 2.4, the install only does a partial upgrade. Even after the Setup.exe informs me that an upgrade will be done and "Copying Files" progress page give the impression that all the new files are being copied. If I go to run the "upgraded" app, it triggers the self healing of the previous version.

I also tried using the Remove from Feature and Associate Compontents... actions from the popup menu. Same results when the install is upgrading to 2.4.

When I compare the install log files of a 2.2 to 2.3 upgrade with that of a 2.2 to 2.4 upgrade, I noticed that ProcessComponents only does a subset of the components and not all of the 75+ components

"Action 17:41:39: ProcessComponents. Updating component registration"
"MSI (s) (9C:34) [17:41:39:903]: Executing op: ProgressTotal(Total=6,Type=1,ByteEquivalent=24000)"

I could see if only the moved components failed to upgrade, but why are virtually all the components ignored?

Has anyone ever experience this problem after reorganizing your misplaced components? Will I have revert to an older project and redo all the new components?

I'm using the original InstallShield 2008 that we received (03/10/2007) and have not applied any online updates.

Thanks.

Ken
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

Please see the MSI help topic "Changing the Product Code", and also the results of the InstallShield upgrade validation process; for minor upgrades (not using the Upgrade table), MSI doesn't support moving an existing component to a different feature relative to earlier releases...
0 Kudos
Ken_Hartlen
Level 4

RobertDickau wrote:
MSI doesn't support moving an existing component to a different feature relative to earlier releases...

Okay. I thought I was only moving the _new_ components from feature to feature, maybe I inadvertently moved an existing component. I'll double check the 2.1, 2.2, and 2.3 projects and compare them with the new 2.4 project.

Thanks.

Ken
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

If you define minor-upgrade items in the Upgrades view, the build-time validation process will catch some of these things for you, too.
0 Kudos