cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashahidi
Level 4

Monitoring folder for new files?

Is there a way for Installshield to monitor if there are new files added to a directory?

For example: I already have a project setup with Feature A which gets files from a bin directory. Installshield already pulls the latest version of the files but I want it to check and add any new files that have been added into the folder.

Any ideas?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
retzcat
Level 6

Are you using 2008? If you are, you can set up the files to be added dynamically....
0 Kudos
ashahidi
Level 4

Yep, that's what I needed. Thanks!
0 Kudos
KathyMorey
Level 10

Be aware that there are some ramifications from using dynamic linking. You'll want to set up a component for each folder or subfolder that you are pulling files from, or you'll have trouble doing minor upgrades in the future.
0 Kudos
Fred_Oisund
Level 4

Please be aware that when using Dynamic file linking, and files in the subdirectory tree is changed, you run the risk of the files not beeing overwritten during upgrades!

InstallShield checks only if the file defined as the keyfile is changed during upgrade, and this is a randomly selected file in the case of dynamic file linking.

However, if files in your dynamic tree are never changed between versions, Dynamic File Linking is a good option.
0 Kudos