cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mcrob427
Level 3

ModuleInstallUISequence not executed when using GPO Deployment

Hi,

I have a merge module project and with a custom action step in my ModuleInstallUISequence table. The steps in that table works fine when I do a normal install. However, if I do a Windows Group Policy Object (GPO) deployment from the domain controller, the steps in that table doesn't seem to execute, and will skip to the steps in ModuleInstallExecuteSequence table.

Am I missing something or is there a way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lin
Software Engineer
NextLabs, Inc. (http://www.nextlabs.com)
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

As a sanity check, for that matter, is anything from the UI sequence of the main installer (not just the merge module) running?
0 Kudos
mcrob427
Level 3

Thanks for the reply Robert.

Doesn't seem like the UI Sequence for the main installer is executing either.

I just inserted a dummy custom action into the UI sequence that basically just writes to the log, and the log is nowhere to be found.

So how do I make any steps in the UI sequence execute in this case?

Thanks.
Robert
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

In the GPO properties, is there an option to change the UI level from basic to "Full" or "Maximum"?
0 Kudos
mcrob427
Level 3

It's already on Maximum by default
0 Kudos
mcrob427
Level 3

BTW, is there a way to place my Custom Action in the Execute Sequence but with a condition checking if this is a silent install (GPO)? Is there a built-in condition for silent installs?

Thanks.
Robert
0 Kudos
RobertDickau
Flexera Alumni

For silent installs, perhaps a condition based on the UILevel property (UILevel=2 for a silent installation, UILevel=3 for basic UI, and so on).
0 Kudos
mcrob427
Level 3

I solved the problem, here's what I did -

I made a MST transform file to go along with GPO deployment, and inside the transform file, I added a new row that corresponds to my custom action into the InstallExecuteSequence table, and made sure that this custom action gets executed fairly early on.

So that seems to work.

Thanks for your replies Robert.

Robert Lin
Software Engineer
NextLabs, Inc. (http://www.nextlabs.com)
0 Kudos