cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cadbase
Level 3

Missing icon for setup.exe

I have a large Basic MSI installer job which is finished and working fine but when I create a single compressed Setup.exe for network deployment, I get no icon - just the Windows .exe icon. As ISS builds, I see the intermediate setup.exe with the standard ISS icon, but this dissapears when the files are finally merged at completion of the build.

I've read other threads where people want to use their own icon instead of the default ISS one and I realise this isn't possible with Basic MSI projects without "hacking" around with an icon resource editor. However, I don't care about using my own icon - I just want "an" icon - the ISS default one is fine.

Smaller jobs dont' show this problem. I can only think that it's the size of my application - which includes an Oracle database and other large data set that produces a very large compressed Setup.exe of just under 1GB.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Is my comment on this thread relevant for you?
0 Kudos
cadbase
Level 3

I am using XP but I don't have Vista for testing any limits. I couln't find anything on MSDN about a Windows size limit for .EXE files with icons under XP.

In the end I decided to deploy the application in its uncompressed form. It's much quicker to build and slightly quicker to install. The password protection you get with a single setup.exe would have been handy to have though.
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

This happened to my application as well it was around 450MB, the icon would not show up, I thought it was something wrong with the installer. Left the machine went to lunch it was there when i came back. It seems to be that when A single .exe file size the ICON has delayed visiblity, this is probably do to the amount of RAM in the machine the the refresh rates of the window.
0 Kudos
jchristman
Level 8

Just built a 708MB single .exe file took forever to build almost an hour. But the good news is that the Icon did apear when it was done copying over to another machine and the screen did its refresh
0 Kudos