cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eladef
Level 7

Minor upgrade and change component destination

Hi

1. In my setup I have several components being installed under : [INSTALLDIR]1.0 ( 1.0 is the product version )
Now I want to create a minor upgrade so these components will now be installed under [INSTALLDIR]1.1 and the files that under [INSTALLDIR]1.0 will be removed.

What I did was to change the components destination to a new one and add the files I want to remove to the RemoveFile table ( I make sure that the [INSTALLDIR]1.0 directory exists in the Directory table), but the result was that the files under [INSTALLDIR]1.0 are just being updated and the [INSTALLDIR]1.1 directory doesn't exists.

Is it possible to do that with Mminor upgrade or I have to use Major ?

2. In case I have to create Major upgrade I want that the setup will act as a minor one, meaning I the beggining I want to show a prompt that a mijor upfrade is taking place and skip the wizard.
Do I only have to update the conditions or more is needed ?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
eladef
Level 7

Any help will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

I would have created a major upgrade, and add new components which install those files which you've installed to 1.0 now to 1.1 instead. And also deleted (or removed those components from feature which will contain 'em) the components from this newer version of the IS project which did install the files to 1.0 directory.

Remember to check what you need to do if you choose to create major upgrade (change productcode).
0 Kudos
eladef
Level 7

I guess I have no choice but create a Major upgrade.
The question now ( Since I want it to be installed like minor, meaning no setup wizard ) is how will the setup know where to install the upgrade and which setup type is needed ?
Should I create a Custom Action that check of these parameters and according to that install the upgrade ? or there are other suggestions ?
0 Kudos
arsirantala
Level 5

No setup wizard but a major upgrade? I don't think its possible.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Alternatively you could create a patch instead? it'd modify the existing installation.
0 Kudos