cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pionapple
Level 2

Minor updates can not work

Hi Guys,

I encountered a problem when I created a minor updates.
The below are steps.

1 Create the minor updates and build it.
2 Create the patch for this minor updates and build it.
3 Run the patch and update the program successfully
4 Run Minor Updates MSI, encountered a problem which is Another version has been installed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10481[/ATTACH]
5 But it works when I tried to run the setup.exe which it will show a message that it will run as a update..
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10482[/ATTACH]
So, my question is why the setup.exe can run, the MSI can not when I used the patch.msp to update program.
What's the difference between the setup.exe and MSI.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10483[/ATTACH]

Thanks,
WEI
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
JSClark
Level 6

Make sure you generate a new Package Code GUID in General Information : Summary Information Stream
0 Kudos
TsungH
Level 12

Please refer to Applying Small Updates by Reinstalling the Product on how to apply minor upgrade.
0 Kudos
pionapple
Level 2

JSClark wrote:
Make sure you generate a new Package Code GUID in General Information : Summary Information Stream

When I generate the Minor installation, I can confirm I generate a new package code.

I also tested like this.

1 Install the basic one
2 Run MSI or EXE to install the Minor package to update, which both are successful.

In fact, I can run the Minor updates successfully without running the update patch which is from the Minor project.

Please check my original test process to get the detail.

Thanks,
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

Here's a help topic that explains the difference between a minor upgrade with Setup.exe vs. a minor upgrade without Setup.exe.
Creating Minor Upgrades

It's explaining similar information to the MSDN page that TsungH referenced.
0 Kudos