cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Minor Upgrade issue in IS 2010

We have not had to do too many minor upgrades, but we have one that we have to do as an emergency fix and I am running in to an issue.

What we have to do it add some font files that were missing from the original install as well as 2 registry keys.

These font files and reg keys have to actually be added to our merge module that gets included in the main install package.

So I added the font files, registry key and had the merge module rebuilt with a higher build number. All the other files in the merge module stayed the same.

We then updated the main parent install project to reference the released msi for minor upgrades and increase it's build number as well.

We then built the install project and performed an upgrade validate on it. It came back okay, stating that it would be good as a minor upgrade.

So then we tested it and the upgrade seems to go, but none of the new font files or registry keys were created.

I checked the log and all the font files were marked as Absent and the Action set to NULL. So none of them got installed.

Could anyone tell me what I may have done incorrectly or forgotten to do as well really need this to work as a minor upgrade as well as creating a patch if it works.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(5) Replies
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Oh and I was also thinking,

When I added these font files to then merge module and then validated it it complained that the fonts should use a Alias directory that points to the fonts directory.

So I made this change, but do you think that this would cause non of the font files to be installed?

I do not think so as again the log would not show the following:

MSI (s) (C4:D4) [15:26:24:201]: Component: euclid.ttf.FD4B58B4_8B48_4C4C_98E3_140EA5D0F1D3; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (C4:D4) [15:26:24:201]: Component: euclidb.ttf.FD4B58B4_8B48_4C4C_98E3_140EA5D0F1D3; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (C4:D4) [15:26:24:201]: Component: euclidbi.ttf.FD4B58B4_8B48_4C4C_98E3_140EA5D0F1D3; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null

So again you can see all the fonts are currently Absent, but the Action is Null when it should be Local!!!

Again if anyone can help me solve this I would appreciate it...
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

Okay so no one has any help on this issue....

Are install developers creating minor updates or only going with major upgrades???

I have been working on this a couple days now and I have found no answers as of yet.

I get the original ism project from our source control, I then only add the registry keys that we need, setting one of the keys as a key file, and then updated the install project build number by 1. I then rebuild the install and do a msi difference between what was released and what I just created and the differences are what were expected.

I then installed the updated install and sure enough the registry component did not get installed (msi log indicated Action: Null for that component). I then checked the log and it seems that quite a few files were marked Action: Null instead of Local.

I then ran the uninstall and all the files that were marked in the log as Action: Null we left behind on the system. So basically the minor upgrade messed up and only recorded the files it installed and there for only those files were removed on uninstall..

Again is there anything else that I can do to make this a minor upgrade install?
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

You don't describe too clearly how you added these files - e.g. into what feature(s) and what component(s), or what other changes you may have made along the way. Have you tried running upgrade validation (Build > Validate > Upgrade Validation Wizard)? It offers a lot of useful guidelines.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

The files and registry keys are added to one of our merge modules that are linked into the main parent install project. They are all Font files and new components added to the merge module.

After building the main parent app I do run the Build > Validate > Upgrade Validation Wizard and it comes back with 1 information message and 2 warning messages.

The Information message simply states that the install qualifies for a Minor Upgrade

1 of the Warning is specifically stating that Font Files have been added and that if you build a patch with it's own uninstall that it will not remove the files. - This was ok because are not planning to create a patch with it's own uninstall.

The other warning is stating about a Class change and again stating if you create a patch with uninstall that some class entires may not be uninstalled.

After the validation I run the install from the command line using the REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vomus.

After the install is done I check and none of the font files are installer and the registry key is not created.

I check the install log and all the fonts are set as Absent and Null for Action.

I also noticed a bunch of other files that were marked as Installed and Action set to Null as well.

I then performed an uninstall and the only files that got removed were all files that were marked as Local for Action. All files left behind were files marked with Action = Null.

So this minor upgrade screwed up the uninstall as well so that you could not cleanly uninstall the product.

So I do not understand why the minor upgrade does not work and therefore we may have to go to a Major Upgrade just to solve this issue, but this means a full install package is needed instead of a minor upgrade/Patch.
0 Kudos
Tim_Mayert
Level 9

I must be jinxed because I decided to try the Quick Patch project to generate a patch that contain the Font files and the registry keys, plus one file that needs to be updated.

After building the Quick Patch and trying it out all the fonts and registry keys were correctly added - yea...

BUT, the one file that needed to be updated did not get updated. It I run the install in repair mode after that then the file will be updated.

So WHY does the file not get updated during the patch deployment?

I have tried many different things, push commands and still no good. I then added a new file that was to go into the same folder as this updated file and again the new file was not added as well. And again if I run the repair mode then that file will also be installed into the folder.

So can anyone tell me why these files are not updated/added???
0 Kudos