cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

Minor Upgrade Does NOT replace EXEs

InstallScript MSI

I've got a minor upgrade from 5.10.002 to 5.10.003. It runs as expected but doesn't replace the older EXEs with the newer ones. I've examined the MSI log and REINSTALLMODE=vomus and ADDLOCAL does include the sub-feature containing the EXEs. All EXEs were recompiled and have a new version number for this build.

By contrast, a fresh install DOES copy the EXEs and the EXEs are installed by a minor upgrade if the EXEs don't exist.

Any ideas where to look next?
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
Holger_G
Level 10

How did you organized your executables into components?
.exe files should be put in separate components and must be marked as the key path file.
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

All EXEs are organized into separate components. Components are organized into about a dozen features/subfeatures.

The only clue I've found is the following from the MSI Log:

MSI (s) (18:68) [11:30:13:084]: Feature: Data_Collection; Installed: Absent; Request: Null; Action: Null
MSI (s) (18:68) [11:30:13:095]: Component: Data_Collection; Installed: Local; Request: Null; Action: Null

Data_Collection, is one of the components that should get overwritten but doesn't. I can't figure out why the feature would be "Installed : Absent" when the feature is clearly installed since the only way to install the component is to install the Data_Collection feature.
0 Kudos
Kelter
Level 10

do the feature codes from the current installation and previous installation match? if the path from the root of your feature tree to the subfeature in question (in terms of feature GUIDs) is not the same, then the current installation will not know that they are the same feature!
0 Kudos
Mark_Koehler
Level 6

Since moving to a new PC I can't reproduce the problem anymore. I'm reasonably sure the GUIDs and feature structure were the same when I could reproduce it.

I'll post again if the problem returns.

Thanks for your advice.
0 Kudos