cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meenapanchu
Level 3

Migration to Vista

Hi,
I am new to installsheild. So if there are any blunders forgive me.
I have an install script project in installsheild 12.
No I want to support VISTA and have to avoid the UACs,
What are the possible solutions for these?

1. Should I be converting my project to Basic MSI to have better control on the UAC, If so how can I implement the my complete install script code in the custom actions. For eg I am checking for some file, registry all those things.

2. Is there any means where in I can modify my Install script project to control the UAC in Vista and support the product installation in VISTA ALSO?

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

If by "avoid the UAC" you mean elevate an install to run with full administrative privileges without showing a UAC prompt, then there is no way to do that from your setup. Any given user may enable that scenario by disabling UAC on their machine, but your setup cannot change that setting without already having administrative privileges. (And it would be bad form to change that setting even then.)

Regarding your example in 1 of reading the registry or looking for a file, this generally does not require administrative privileges so can often be done before the execute-sequence elevation of MSI (or after the launch elevation of InstallScript).

If by "control the UAC" you mean the ability to set your setup.exe's manifest to require exactly the right level of privileges, you can do that in an MSI since IS12, and in InstallScript as of IS2008.
0 Kudos