cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scorpio73
Level 3

Migrating from Installshield 11 to Installshield 2008 Major Upgrade Problem

I have .ism project created on Installshield 11 and would like to migrate it to Installshield 2008. Under upgrades I have a list of previos major upgrades.
After building project in Installshield 2008 I am getting an error code -6422.

ISDEV : fatal error -6422: An error occurred while adding Major Upgrade settings for (location and name of .msi).

Any suggestion on this problem. Thanks.:confused:
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(7) Replies
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

I'm not certain what's causing this, but one idea: does your Property table contain all four of the following properties: UpgradeCode, ProductVersion, ProductLanguage, and SecureCustomProperties?
0 Kudos
scorpio73
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
I'm not certain what's causing this, but one idea: does your Property table contain all four of the following properties: UpgradeCode, ProductVersion, ProductLanguage, and SecureCustomProperties?

Yes, all ..:rolleyes:
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Hmm. How about we try a verbose build log to see if there are any better hints in that. Build from the command line using IsCmdBld.exe -v -p .
0 Kudos
scorpio73
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
Hmm. How about we try a verbose build log to see if there are any better hints in that. Build from the command line using IsCmdBld.exe -v -p .

I tried this and got a same error but also Windows installer error 2228.

Part of build:

Get Automatic Upgrade Item Name
ISDEV : fatal error -6422: An error occurred while adding Major Upgrade settings
for C:\IBPBuild\Server\IBP 16.0_02aug07\IBPServer v16.0_02aug07.msi
Windows Installer Error 2228: C:\Work\MSI\16.0_21aug07\16.0_21aug07\DiskImages\D
ISK1\IBPServer v16.0_16aug07.msi, Upgrade, SELECT * FROM `Upgrade`
MsiOpenDatabaseView()
Creating path "C:\Work\MSI\16.0_21aug07\16.0_21aug07\LogFiles"
16.0_21aug07\16.0_21aug07 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Deleting folder "C:\Work\MSI\16.0_21aug07\Interm\MergeModules"
Log file has been created: 8-21-2007 12-01-03 PM.txt>

Thanks a lot for your help
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The 2228 error is the internal error that leads to the -6422 build error. In this case it's saying that the Upgrade table does not exist, in this case I believe it's in the MSI you are building. I suspect this is due to not having any real major upgrades in it. Could you verify this is the case so I can report it correctly? As a workaround, you should be able to turn the automatic upgrade item into a major upgrade item, or add any other major upgrade item, such as a "downgrade prevention" major upgrade item. Let me know if this workaround doesn't work for you.
0 Kudos
dlphillips
Level 3

Have you ever recieved a reply from our friends at Macrovision on this bug?

I have the identical problem, and the less than helpful info from IS on this error states "This error may occur if you selected an .msi file to be upgraded by your current installation but that file is locked or it is no longer in the specified location. "

Monitoring file activity by ISDEV.EXE during the build shows that the upgrade package was never accessed. This worked fine in 10.5, but does not work in IS 2008.

The upgrade table does indeed include a major upgrade item, and it clearly references a prior release, a valid MSI file that is not "locked".
0 Kudos
ustas_michelius
Level 3

MichaelU wrote:
The 2228 error is the internal error that leads to the -6422 build error. In this case it's saying that the Upgrade table does not exist, in this case I believe it's in the MSI you are building. I suspect this is due to not having any real major upgrades in it. Could you verify this is the case so I can report it correctly? As a workaround, you should be able to turn the automatic upgrade item into a major upgrade item, or add any other major upgrade item, such as a "downgrade prevention" major upgrade item. Let me know if this workaround doesn't work for you.

I have the same situation. Completely the same.
with IsCMDBld.exe have

ISDEV : fatal error -6422: An error occurred while adding Major Upgrade settings for C:\installer\previous_installers\server\1.3.1\my_server.msi
Windows Installer Error 2228: c:\installer\my_server\Product Configuration 1\Release 1\DiskImages\DISK1\my_server.msi, Upgrade, SELECT * FROM `Upgrade`
MsiOpenDatabaseView()

about Updates in IS.. i have the following:
Upgrade 1.3.1 - its automatic upgrade item that leads to 1.3.1 version of my_server.msi
Upgrade 1.3.0.1 - its automatic upgrade item that leads to 1.3.0.1 version of my_server.msi
Upgrade 1.3.0 - its automatic upgrade item that leads to 1.3.0 version of my_server.msi

All these are Automatic Upgrade Items.
Error points me to the 1.3.1 upgrade item and i've found that if i change this 1.3.1 on Major Update Item.. then error disappear. (I completely don't understand why it disappear and what exactly i do when i convert this automatic upgrade item to major upgrade item). To convert it i press right mouse button and then select 'Convert to Major Upgrade Item'.

Error disappear, but its not good, because i don't understand what exactly happened when i convert automatic to major.

Please help me with all this and thank you for any advice!
0 Kudos