cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
elvinhau
Level 3

Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5 PreRequisite > download failed ?

I follow the instruction in this link:
UPDATE: InstallShield 2008 Basic MSI, InstallScript MSI, and Express Support for .NET Framework 3.5

After selecting "Download Selected Item" on "Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5", it always ended up with this prompt: "The download failed. Would you like to try again?"

I am using Basic MSI project. I try with other merge modules, seems encounter the same error. Anyone knows how to overcome this ? Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
elvinhau
Level 3

After some testing at home (which works perfect then), I only realised that it is my office network that somehow failed the downloading process.
0 Kudos
elangochd
Level 3

I am unable to download the pre-requisites by right clicking and selecting "Download Selected Item". I get the same error.

We have a single user license and cannot try it at home (probably I could download a trial version). But, apprantly whatever URL they are using to download pre-requisites are blocked by corporates. Acresso/Installshield needs to provide an URL for people who cannot download from the IDE.

That would really help if there is a web URL for all the pre-requisite downloadables. If someone already know of that URL, please let me know.

Thanks,
Elango.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The downloads are available separately from the Downloads area of the acresso.com Web site. First find the version of InstallShield that you are using, and then click the Files & Utilities link for that version.

Here's a link to the page that has the InstallShield 2008 downloads:
http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_8721.htm
0 Kudos
elangochd
Level 3

Could you please give the URL for InstallShield 2010?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

The direct link for InstallShield 2010 downloads is http://www.acresso.com/downloads/downloads_5842.htm.

(To find this page, visit http://www.acresso.com, and click the Downloads menu. By default, the Current tab is displayed. This tab has the downloads for the most recent release of InstallShield, which is InstallShield 2010. In the InstallShield row of the Current tab, click the Files & Utilities link.)
0 Kudos
BizerbaDev
Level 6

Hi!

I know it is akward to reply to a thread that has been opened about seven years ago, but guess what: Even with IS2015 you can still get this error and this thread is what your search engine of choice will present you first when looking for something like 'installshield prerequisite download failed'.

As this tread didn't help me so far (because I do not like to install good ol' InstallShiled on my private computer at home in order to make the download there which I then could use at work), I thought it would be nice to share my solution (which was provided to me by support):

"To find the download URL for a manual download you can right click the prerequisite that you require and choose edit prerequisite. Go to the Files to Include tab, click the file and select modify, you should see the URL to the file, copy and paste that URL in your browser to start downloading the file. Once downloaded you should move it to the directory given in the Files to Include tab --> Path to Local file."

Wait... what??? I can edit the Prerequisite although it is not downloaded?!?!?! That needs some clarification...

So if you analyze how Prerequisites work then you come to the following conclusion: The PRQ files which represent the structure of a Prerequisite are always installed with IS - if these files would not be there then IS would just not know about them. Hence you do not download a prq file but the files that are provided/installed by the Prerequisite and these are usually MSI files that are usually provided by Microsoft.

The strange thing is that the described manual download from Microsoft via my browser worked flawlessly while IS2015 was not able to download the said files - hard to telll who the culprit is in this case...

I hope one day this post will help some poor setup architect who has to use IS2015 (and later) 😉

Regards

Ralf
0 Kudos