cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swells
Level 2

MergeModule vs Object

Hi

To date I have only used the windows installer that comes with Visual Studio, but I now have a shiny new copy of IS2008 and see there is something called an Object project - which as far as I can see it broadly the same as a Merge Module.

Given that in terms of functionality I can acheive what I want using either of these approaches I am strugling to see why I should use one over the other?

My current (non-IS2008) MSI for example contains about 9 MSMs and some of those MSMs contain sub-MSMs etc. I also notice that installing and uninstalling takes quite a while with the progress bar starting again several times - and I have always assumed this may be caused by the presence of multiple MSMs.

So, would using Objects instead make the MSI smoother and quicker or offer any other performance gains - or is there no difference in behaviour/performance in choosing MergeModules over Objects.

Thanks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(8) Replies
gridman
Level 8

I thought the difference between Merge Modules and Objects was that Objects were usually created by Macrovision (InstallShield staff) and Merge Modules were created by third parties, such as Microsoft.

As to your other question, I have never had as many in one installer as you are saying you have. So, I have no experience in that situation.
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

Are you referring to the InstallScript Object Project type? If so, this is the InstallScript version of a merge module, but can only be used with the InstallScript project type.
0 Kudos
swells
Level 2

Hi

Yes I am referring to the Object Project type - but I am unsure whether there is a performance benefit of any sort choosing one over the other given that the outpus are only going to be used internally by me.

I would of course use a Merge Module if I wanted to redistribute something - but if this is not the case, does an Object Project buy me anything over using Merge Module Projects?

Thanks
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

It's hard to compare them becuase they are used with different project types. Objects can only be used with the InstallScript Project type, while merge modules are used with the MSI project type. However, you can use merge modules with an InstallScript project type if you use te merge module holder object.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Actually, I just looked this up in the Help to confirm. It says objects and merge modules can be used with InstallScript or MSI projects. However, prerequisites can only be added to MSI (Windows Installer) projects.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

In case your interested, the part of the Help that talks about this is titled "Adding Merge Modules and Objects to Your Project".
0 Kudos
esiemiat
Level 9

I must have misunderstood your original post. In it you mentioned an Object project type. The only object project type is for an InstallScript object.
0 Kudos
gridman
Level 8

Actually, in rereading your original email, I think I am the one who misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the difference between adding objects and/or merge modules to your MSI project. What I think you actually meant was that currently, you have added merge modules to your project, merge modules that you have created, and you're wondering if you would get any performance difference if you had created objects and added them instead.

If that's what you mean, then I'm sorry, I don't know the answer.
0 Kudos