cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Marcus_Chuang
Level 4

Make a setup.exe to choose which one should be executed

Hi All:
I am using InstallShield MSI project and now I can use it to create two setup.exe. One is for x86 platform (setup_x86.exe) and the other is for x64 platform (setup_x64.exe). Now I have a request.

I want to create another setup.exe used to choose which one should be executed based on the target's platform. That is, if target's platform is x86, setup_x86.exe should be invoked and executed if user double-clicks setup.exe. On the other hand, if target's platform is x64, setup_x64.exe should be invoked and executed if user double-clicks setup.exe.

So, anyone has any better suggestions? If yes, please give me a hint. Thanks.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Marcus_Chuang
Level 4

Anyone could help me?
Even just a hint, I'll appreciate to you.
0 Kudos
Marcus_Chuang
Level 4

About my problem, I found one method from other people's strategy.

In their software package, they have one setup.exe, one setup.ini and two folders named as amd64 and x86. Among them, the setup.exe would be guided to amd64 folder or x86 folder totally based on setup.ini.

The content of setup.ini is very simple, as follows:
[Install]
CmdLine=""%%SetupExeLocation%%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%\setup.exe"

How could the setup.ini pass the information of end user's platform to setup.exe so that setup.exe could enter the appropriate folder?

When end user executes setup.exe, the first dialog is neither "welcome dialog" nor "Preparing to Install" dialog. The first dialog is just the dialog when user executes one of setup.exe which is located in amd64 or x86. However, as I know, there are no any methods to disable the "Preparing to Install..." dialog because the dialog is belong to windows installer itself. So I am very curious the setup.exe is what kind of project type? Basic MSI, InstallShield MSI, etc...

For me, how could I make such a setup.exe and setup.ini to do what I want?
I've searched for couple weeks but still have no specific method. Just give me a clue and make me know I'm heading to the right answer.
0 Kudos
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

For the original question, I suspect the simplest option is a custom bootstrap, whether written as an empty InstallScript project or written in C++. For suppressing the preparing to install dialog, can you just pass the /hide_progress command-line parameter?
0 Kudos