cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gamlidek
Level 4

Maintaining older versions... rant

It seems to me that earlier IS versions are riddled with problems that have not been fixed and the only way to get a fix is to "upgrade" to the latest version and hope/pray the fixes are there with no additional bugs or problems. However, in reality, upgrading is rarely problem-free. Has InstallShield decided to no longer fix their broken older versions? I'd really, really prefer fixes over functionality. Sadly, there aren't too many choices for a multiplatform installer that are industry standard.

Sorry for the rant.. I'm just unhappy again about the constant wait for fixes.

/gam/
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(4) Replies
singletd
Level 4

Hi Gamlidek

I totally agree with your comments, I would also like to add that many GOOD suggestions have been made here for new functionality to be added that has never appeared.

I would like to know how they prioritise adding new requirements, it seems to me they would rather implement new functionality that suits them that is of little use to anyone else rather that address 'users' issues and requirements.

The trouble is as you say there is little choice, though other newer tools are coming through, maybe in a couple of years we may have a decent alternative, if I have any hair left anyway 🙂
0 Kudos
samsharma
Level 2

The Installed Shield seems to have a policy not to care about real problems and suggestions from user community. At least I have to see the doctor for my finger joint injury due to excessive mouce cliks required by IS product.

I am looking for some other product, I will be happy to move away from IS.
0 Kudos
fneudert
Level 2

I am also unhappy that IS provides every few months a new (payable) version and are not able to fix the bugs that are really there. Also the documentation of the API is a mess. I hope that someday you at IS would get this fixed.

I want also point out that a forum can be a great help when searching a solution for some problems. This is valid also for this forum. BUT: The way it is organized is not really for the user.

Who was the person which have thougth out to build a board for each version? The same problems are described over and over in each board because bugs are still there and new users somehow don't look in boards for older versions.

If I have a problem in IX X Universal, I have to look in Board for IS X Universal, IS 10.5 Universal and so on and also in the Board for older versions. A redesign of the boards would be nice.
0 Kudos
bjfrary
Level 4

I agree with all the above... I have been on 5 (up to .03u now) since it came out. we couldn't move to X because we were in the middle of a release cycle and 10.5 didn't seem to offer that much. I am now evaluating 11.5 and I find that they have changed things that don't make any sense. They renamed a method...just changed the case... not the parameters or the return value...so my old code won't work....why? Just to make life more difficult? I also have extended most of their classes to include debug info in them so I can tell why things go wrong...or when. The new classes have new parameters. SO guess what? All my extended classes have to be changed. My latest issue is looking see what platforms have been updated...No Solaris 5.10. Oh and I went to create a new dialog...can't change font size or color? I have no good reason to move to 11.5 except that we are using such an old version I am afraid of not getting support.
0 Kudos