cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webwolve
Level 4

MSI versus setup launcher

Hi all,

My first Basic MSI attempt is underway. However, it does require that I add a .NET redistributable. I understand that whenever you add a pre-requisite or redistributable to a Basic MSI setup, you must include the setup.exe launcher. You cannot just have an .msi file after the build is complete. The resultant build files thus contain the launcher and the msi file.

My question is, if I am assured that a specific user already contains the required .NET, can that user simply run the .msi file, or must they still use the setup.exe launcher?

Thanks,
WebWolve
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

The former - if your setup.exe merely ensures that all prerequisites are present, and you know they are, you can skip to the MSI. Of course, that assumes you build it such that both the exe and the msi files are visible. If you build that way, you will probably want to add verification that the prerequisites have been installed (such as by using System Searches and Launch Conditions), so users can't be too smart for their own good and encounter subtle failure scenarios.
0 Kudos