cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JPSantos
Level 2

MSI Installation fails

Hello.

I'm trying to instal a 23bit application, which i generated the MSI to instal, but it fails on Win7 64 bit. On the other hand, it instals on a WinXP 32bit computer.

I don't know why it fails, because i don't really understand what the log says. Can anyone help me understand the reason why this is failing?

Thanks in advance.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
Christopher_Pai
Level 16

You have an InstallUtil ( .NET Installer Class ) that's blowing up and throwing and error 1001. ( Generic error message )

The custom action is contained in ADDInSetup.dll.

PS- Installer Class custom actions are universally frowned upon. It dissapoints me that InstallShield even supports wiring these up into an installer. I've been bit by them so many times over the years that I will never, never, never use them again.

So while you can try to figure out why the CA is failing, the better path forward would be to describe what the CA is doing and refactor it into a better solution. Often the CA is reinventing the wheel and can be broken down into steps that MSI can do for you and other times it's legit and just needs to be rewritten using WiX's DTF Custom Action pattern ( which is 100% compatible with InstallShield MSI's )
0 Kudos
JPSantos
Level 2

Good catch!

Can you tell me how you got to the AddInSetup.dll bit? I looked around the long and it caught my eye but I would never figured to be causing the error.

What it does is launch an .exe file, but it is using an absolute path which does not exist. (Program Files (x86) vs Program Files folders)

I changed it and it worked!

Thanks!
0 Kudos