cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zmfcat1
Level 4

MSI Engine packaging

Hi, I am building the setup.exe and have chosen the option to compress the 3.1 MSI engine into the setup package. My questions:-

1) Since MSI engine version 4.5 is out how can I package this version within the setup.exe instead of MSI engine 3.1. The interface does not give options to package another version

2) I found a case where my installer crashes sometimes with the MSIEXEC.exe application on Windows 2008. But if I install MSI engine 4.5 on the machine and then run my installer, the install succeeds without issues. Now my question is whether there is any interaction between the engine I package (3.1) and what is installed on the machine.

Appreciate your inputs. Thx.
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(1) Reply
MichaelU
Level 12 Flexeran
Level 12 Flexeran

Select the Windows Installer 4.5 prerequisite(s) for the platform(s) you wish to support; you can find these in the Redistributables view (at least in IS2009; I forget when we made these available. If they're not already present you can create your own).

There shouldn't be any odd interactions; either 3.1 will be installed because it's newer than what was previously on the machine, or nothing will change because the machine already had 3.1 or newer. But if moving to 4.5 solves your problems, then that's the simple answer.
0 Kudos