cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Biruel
Level 2

MSDE like optional

I have a MSI project (Visual Basic 6.0).

Is it possible to install the MSDE only if the user select the especify feature?

ex:
Some Features...............................
--Server
----Empty Database
----SQL Server 2000 (Desktop Engine)
------------------------------------

I wish the MSDE is only installed in the machine if the user select the 'SQL Server 2000 (Desktop Engine) feature.

Anyone know how can I do it.

Thanks
Best Regards

Biruel
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(6) Replies
DebbieL
Level 17

InstallShield 2009 has a new feature called feature prerequisites. It lets you associate prerequisites (such as the prerequisite for SQL Server 2000 (Desktop Engine)) with features in your project.

Feature prerequisites are installed after an end user has chosen which features to install; a feature prerequisite is installed only if the feature that contains it is installed.

InstallShield 2008 does not have this support. If upgrading to InstallShield 2009 is an option for you, you may want to download the evaluation version of InstallShield 2009 and try it out.
0 Kudos
MNSwiftOne
Level 4

Hi,
I did not know this a feature of 2009 - I have 2009 Professional.. but cannot seem to find/figure out how to do this.
Could you explain how to set this?

Looking through 'Redistributables' I see a
Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express SP2 1.0 Installshield Prerequisite Installed Locally
In its description it states:
Allow end user to skip prerequisite: No

Selecting a 'merge module' - the Conditional Installation pane is shown below and I can associated a merge module with a feature - but selecting any 'InstallShield Prerequisite' automatically hides the Conditional Installation pane.
Is this not supported for Installscript MSI Projects or what am I doing wrong???

I can not figure out how to link an 'Installshield Prerequisite' to a feature - on the Feature page, component or anywhere.

I am interested in how to set this associated with a Feature I added that is user selectable: InstSQLServer2005, if selected, will install SQL Server 2005 Express (I read we can define run command line options) so this would be great instead of using LaunchApplication as I have it now.

Thanks,
Todd

DebbieL wrote:
InstallShield 2009 has a new feature called feature prerequisites. It lets you associate prerequisites (such as the prerequisite for SQL Server 2000 (Desktop Engine)) with features in your project.

Feature prerequisites are installed after an end user has chosen which features to install; a feature prerequisite is installed only if the feature that contains it is installed.

InstallShield 2008 does not have this support. If upgrading to InstallShield 2009 is an option for you, you may want to download the evaluation version of InstallShield 2009 and try it out.
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

InstallScript MSI projects do not have support for feature prerequisites. Only Basic MSI projects let you associate InstallShield prerequisites with features.
0 Kudos
wbradney
Level 2

DebbieL wrote:
InstallScript MSI projects do not have support for feature prerequisites. Only Basic MSI projects let you associate InstallShield prerequisites with features.

That's unfortunate. I have the same problem -- I just converted my Basic MSI project into an Installscript MSI project in order to be able to define Setup Types, and now I've lost the ability to set Feature Prerequisites.

I'm currently evaluating 2009 Premium, is this restriction just an oversight, or will it be fixed?
0 Kudos
DebbieL
Level 17

wbradney,

Although Basic MSI projects do not have the Setup Types view (like in InstallScript MSI or InstallScript projects), you can configure setup types in Basic MSI projects. The following KB article has information on how to do this:
http://kb.acresso.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=Q103232

It sounds like Basic MSI projects might fit your needs better than InstallScript MSI projects. Have you made changes to your project since you converted it from Basic MSI to InstallScript MSI? If so, would you be able to revert back to your Basic MSI project?
0 Kudos
wbradney
Level 2

I did indeed save a copy of my project before converting and have now reverted back to it - in my case Feature Prerequisites are more important than Setup Types. I'm happy to stick with Complete or Custom.

It just struck me as odd that the two features are mutually exclusive -- I had assumed that an Installscript MSI would be everything a Basic MSI is PLUS some other nifty features...
0 Kudos