cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljfrench
Level 3

MSDE custom directory install

Hello, oh wise Installshield Community!

I have an installation involving MSDE (for now, SQL Express later) that requires MSDE to be installed in a custom directory. I attempted to follow instructions I found here (including after noticing a typo in the command, that a "1" and it's supposed to be an "l").

I've edited the prerequisite to include the command but I'm unsuccessful. Apparantly, the suggestions from that page do not work with the current release of MSDE. I don't get any errors, just a list of the proper use of MSI command line switches.

Obviously my method doesn't work, so I searched here and didn't find anything.

So, my question is how to specify a custom installation directory for the MSDE prerequisite.

Thank you,
ljfrench
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(2) Replies
hidenori
Level 17

You probably need to edit the setup.ini under the ISSetupPrerequisites folder in your media to have the following entries:

TARGETDIR=C:\My MSDE Dir
DATADIR=C:\My MSDE Data Dir

Hope that helps.
0 Kudos
ljfrench
Level 3

hidenori wrote:
You probably need to edit the setup.ini under the ISSetupPrerequisites folder in your media to have the following entries:

TARGETDIR=C:\My MSDE Dir
DATADIR=C:\My MSDE Data Dir

Hope that helps.

Yup! That does it! Of course, I have to edit the prerequisite to use the setup.ini I created instead of the default. That way I can build and rebuild without having to repopulate the file.

Thank you!

ljfrench
0 Kudos