cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dmetzler
Level 6

Localization - where to start?

I have a basic .msi installer in English. Now I want to create a Japanese version of the installer.

Where is a good place to start looking into this?

Thanks,

Don Metzler
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
(3) Replies
Gvarma
Level 7

dmetzler wrote:
I have a basic .msi installer in English. Now I want to create a Japanese version of the installer.

Where is a good place to start looking into this?

Thanks,

Don Metzler

For japanese (which includes kthakaana , kanji etc) you prabably would need a language pack, but this would also depend on what version of IS you are using????

localization is pretty simple, if application localization is being handled at the application end, as for installer you need to select japanese at Release level which would put all string translation in your setup.exe.

If you are using premier version of IS then start exploring Release setting of your installer.

HTH
0 Kudos
dmetzler
Level 6

Gvarma wrote:
For japanese (which includes kthakaana , kanji etc) you prabably would need a language pack, but this would also depend on what version of IS you are using????

localization is pretty simple, if application localization is being handled at the application end, as for installer you need to select japanese at Release level which would put all string translation in your setup.exe.

If you are using premier version of IS then start exploring Release setting of your installer.

HTH

Thanks for the information.

I am using InstallShield 2008 - Professional Edition.

Don
0 Kudos
Gvarma
Level 7

dmetzler wrote:
Thanks for the information.

I am using InstallShield 2008 - Professional Edition.

Don

I am not sure if IS professional addition includes the language pack (perhaps you would need to buy a lang pack from IS).

After that you could utilize existing PUBLIC property called LANGUAGE which actually includes current selected language by the user and use it in your components to install a language specific file(s).

ofcrouse above statement assumes the application level localization is totally being handled by some dll that contains the string specific to a language.

I would also provide a entry in the registry for the application to read and load appropriate language specific strings.

HTH
0 Kudos